• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Option 2 is "Advice to the Minister"

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Option 2 is "Advice to the Minister"

Why did the Minister say over and over during the plebiscite that it was "Advice to the Minister"?

Why did the Minister say over and over that the plebiscite was not binding on the government?

Perhaps the Minister was not prepared to accept the answer as it related to his obligation under the Canadian Wheat Board Act.

The only question which had any relevance to the CWB Act was option 3.

The ballot should have read.

Please indicate if you in favor of the exclusion of barley from Part III and Part IV of the Canadian Wheat Board Act. Yes or No

Vader, this was already done by Meyers Norris Penny and the results have been posted. The last 80 straight topics on Agriville have talked about it.

Roughly 2/3 of the barley producers do not want sole marketing by the CWB of barley.

You have always said the CWB is farmer owned and controlled. Funny how the owners have spoken, yet the board still doesn't listen. The Minister did, why don't you?

Now is not a good time to be asking me about Pt 3 and 4 as I am hauling malt right now and every load am reminded of the fact I am getting $2.80 for $3.50 barley!

Comment

Why? Provide more information.

Comment

OOPS, that should read KPMG, not MNP.
        Good morning Charlie!

Comment

It's pretty simple Charlie. The CWB Act was written for wheat. It can be applied to barley or it can not.

Comment

Quote from CABINET WHEAT COMMITTEE Secret Meeting on Thursday, December 5, 1946, at 11:00 a.m.

Quote:
            Dr. Wilson explained that the Wheat Board under its' present powers had a monopoly contro; over flax seed, and was paying producers a fixed price of $3.25 a bushel. (The U.S. price now stood at $7.25 a bushel). It was necessary to decide whether the Board should continue to offer this guaranteed price to producers."
            UNQUOTE

A couple of points, Vader:

1. The CWB Act has been used by all Governments as an instrument to steal from farmers, and they will add any crop they think they can slip in without too much political penalty. Flax was in. How do you think a vote would tally if the Board wanted to put it back in? If you think it's a wheat act, you cant add canola, like Manitoba advocated.

2. The divorce is being finalized, Vader. She doesn't want you any more because you couldn't support her, Quit being a another Wheat Board stalker. Get over it and move on.

Parsley

Comment

quit living in the past parsley - unless you are so old and grey that it is impossible for you to do otherwise.

Comment

Vader, I quote Ken ritter ""The results of the barley plebiscite announced today are not overly surprising. The CWB has been surveying farmers every year for the past 10 years and these results appear to be consistent with our annual findings.""

The time has come for you, Vader, to follow the direction laid out by farmers. The only other option for you is to resign your position.

Comment

I have always been hopeful that you would learn to address the point instead of trying to distract the reader away from the point.

Whether the messenger is old or short or chews gum or reads Ayn Rand is immaterial,Vader.

The point you made is that the CWB Act was written for wheat. My point was that the CWB Act was written for any grain the Government eyes up. Any Government.

This post is a subtle rebuke, Vader but maybe you're more accustomed to recognizing one more easily if it were more forceful, so to speak.

Subtleties are an important part of dialogue.

Parsley

Comment

Back to the original title of the post. Vader, the minister is taking the advice. August 1st barley is free.

So what is the CWB going to do? Is it folding up shop on barley or is it going to compete?

Here is a simple two part question even CWB directors should be able to understand. Are you in or are you out?

Farmers need to know and the sooner the better.

Comment

Parsley, when you show me that you can be mature and responsible I will respond in a like fashion.

I could care less what the CWB did prior to 1998 because it was controlled by the government. The governance structure change that came into force in 1999 was designed to put control of the CWB in the hands of farmers. You keep talking about stealing. That makes me angry. There is no transfer of funds to the government. All revenues less the admin costs go back to producers.

I will admit that the government of the day is doing everything in their power to take control of the CWB. It is my job to tell them that they cannot do that. The control of the CWB is in the hands of the directors. The CWB Act says that. The CWB Act does need changing to complete the transfer of control from the government to the farmers. I am tired of being a "shared governance" entity and having to listen to the anti-CWB directors that the government has placed on our board.

The government should introduce legislation to complete the transfer of control to the farmers. Then farmers would know that the CWB had only one boss. I know that is not what you want. You want the CWB to be destroyed. You will never be able to convince me otherwise. I often remind myself what your husband once told me. His greatest fear, when you and he supported my campaign to become a CWB Director, was that I might actualy fix the Wheat Board.

Comment

Fran, once again you get an "F".

The minister can do nothing that is in compliance with the CWB Act. He failed to get the producers to vote in favour of the exclusion of barley from the CWB Act. If he tries to introduce legislation to that effect he will be breaking the law. If he tries to do something by regulation that he cannot do by law his regulation will be struck down. Just like Charlie Mayer!

Comment

Vader

Just a reminder barley is already an open market crop (the CWB is irrelevant to feed barley except for masking price signals from export markets). The only real question is on malt barley.

Hopefully questions can be answered quickly. I again note the CWB has exising sales with the domestic maltsters right into new crop 2007/08. Hopefully the issues of making political statements/positioning the CWB ahead of the wheat don't trump the business needs of all members of the malt barley supply chain.

Comment

You are quite right Charlie. I think it is quite pertinent to note that the CWB does not function at all in the domestic feed barley market. This supports my view that in an open market there is no opportunity for the CWB to add value. The value of the CWB is the single desk.

And yes questions should be answered quickly. This is the season for maltsters to contract with the CWB. How have the actions of this government hampered the ability of the CWB to respond to this market. How have the actions of this government undermined relations between the CWB and its customers. What will this cost farmers and who will pay. These are questions for this government to answer.

Comment

Excerpts from a newly released book titled RANTINGS OF A COMPLETE LUNATIC

I will admit that the government of the day is doing everything in their power to take control of the CWB. It is my job to tell them that they cannot do that. The control of the CWB is in the hands of the directors. The CWB Act says that. The CWB Act does need changing to complete the transfer of control from the government to the farmers. I am tired of being a "shared governance" entity and having to listen to the anti-CWB directors that the government has placed on our board.

In this one paragraph the author openly contradicts himself. He starts the paragraph by stating that control of the cwb is in the hands of the directors (which he is obviously one of those directors) then two sentences later he proclaims that he (as a director) is tired of being a "shared governance" entity. It is clear the individual here can not seem to differentiate between reality and what he wishes reality to be.

At the beginning of this next paragraph, "The government should introduce legislation to complete the transfer of control to the farmers. Then farmers would know that the CWB had only one boss.", the writer acknowledges that what he wishes reality to be is not a reality. The writer then goes on to expose his true motives and those motives are clearly sinister and self-serving as he states clearly that he wants to be the BOSS OF ALL FARMERS.

In the next paragraph this poor delusional writer shows us another side of him, a side that must have failed 2nd grade math. "He failed to get the producers to vote in favour of the exclusion of barley from the CWB Act." As it has been reported in all the papers that 62% of those polled expressed a clear preference for excluding barley from the exclusive jurisdiction of the cwb.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...