• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prov of Ab cuts barley reseach and no one cares

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prov of Ab cuts barley reseach and no one cares

We spend lots of time in coffee shops complaining about how we do not make a difference. We have a chance to make a difference and we are all quiet. ???

Does no one care that malt programs are cut in Lacombe and feed programs are next???

To much fluriode in our diets.

Comment

Does the Alberta Barley Commission? If so what are they doing about it?

Comment

I predict that barley is going the way of the bison and ostrich, emu, ginseng, miniature jackass, pond carp, racing pigeons, chop stick factories and strawboard plants. Everyman for himself, who needs funding and levies to support crop research. The private sector can do it, if they want to............

Comment

Nakodo,

I see this response in the Alberta Legislature:

(from Hansard May 1, 2007)

Barley Research
          Mr. Johnson (Wetaskiwin- Camrose): "Thank you, Mr. Speaker. I recently met with representatives from the Alberta Barley Commission regarding Alberta Agriculture and Food’s malt barley research program, which takes place at Lacombe. During this meeting I was informed that the research program was being phased out and that fewer researchers are working on barley projects. This is of concern to the many Albertans who rely on malt barley to make a living. My question is to the Minister of Agriculture and Food. Is barley research at Lacombe being discontinued, and if so, why?

The Acting Speaker: The hon. Minister for Agriculture and Food.

Mr. Groeneveld: Well, thank you, Mr. Speaker. Barley research at the Field Crop Development Centre in Lacombe is not being discontinued. Our current research investment is however being redirected to focus on barley and triticale for food and biofuel use. Two other organizations currently in western Canada have malt barley programs like our current research program, so we’re investing in new research projects that will set Albertans apart, and we’re not going to reinvent the wheel.

Mr. Johnson: To the same minister. The barley sector is an important part of Alberta’s agricultural industry. What other research initiatives relative to this sector are being conducted or supported by your department?

Mr. Groeneveld: Well, Mr. Speaker, there’s a lot of exciting research taking place today. We’ve invested very heavily in genetic research to increase profit for our farmers. This research will focus on things like increasing yield and nutrition, improving water efficiency, and protecting crops from diseases and pests. Our scientists are also working on a new technology that can evaluate the attributes and the quality of a crop. This technology has the incredible potential to result in payment to grain farmers based on the quality of their crops rather than payment on the bushel or by the tonne.

The Acting Speaker: The hon. Member for Wetaskiwin- Camrose.

Mr. Johnson: Thank you. My final supplemental is to the same minister. Can the minister tell the House what else is being done to encourage and promote agricultural research in his department, and does it really benefit the producers?

Mr. Groeneveld: Well, certainly, Mr. Speaker. Research is vital. For example, the Institute for Food and Agricultural Sciences Alberta, also known as IFASA, brings together scientists from Agriculture and Food, the University of Alberta, the Alberta Research Council, and Agriculture and Agri- Food Canada. They focus on research into a number of priorities: value-added meat products, managing soil nutrients and the environment, feed grain quality and supply, and, of course, our new bioenergy products."

Is this action taken by the Alberta Government unreasonable... ?

If you were a city person paying 40% of your gross income in taxes, would you really expect anything less of the Alberta Government?

Comment

Is malting barley a mainstream crop? The majority of barley goes into the feed market so is it worth while researching varieties for the malting industry? It seems the industry chooses varieties based on their needs, not at all agronomics for the farmer.
            I used to grow barley every year but never even considered malting because of the hassle for acceptance and delivery.
            Malt seems to be a minor special crop like potatoes, etc and I dont think it is worth while throwing $$$ at it. As long as the $$$ are reallocated to areas in ag where there is a benefit to mainstream producers I am okay with it. (we have had enough cuts in ab ag the last few years).
            Just my opinion

Comment

I see some merit in malt when the world price is higher than feed (AND IT IS NOW)but no one is offering product as the market is "uncertain" anyway, but I digress

When feed is $ 1.85 everyone wanted malt, now when feed is somewhat north of $ 3.50 the malt price seems to be a non-starter, till the feed/ethanol market turns. then.....

ABC has met with Rural caucus (see www.albertabarley.com for the presentation) and has been meeting 1 on 1 with rural MLA;s not only about the malt barley program but the desire by the Prov to minimize the barley feed program as well.

I recongnize right now the feeders are your buddies but when the market turns remember prices in 2005 and 2006 till Mr. Bush pushed it all into a new realm.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...