• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CDN Wheat grading changes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDN Wheat grading changes

Charlie,

I wonder had this occured sooner would it have affected planting decisions?

From a WCWGA information e-mail:

"On Friday, the Canadian Grain Commission (CGC) announced grading changes for the 2007/08 crop year. The most significant change is that Hard Vitreous Kernels (HVK) will be removed as a grading factor on #2 CWRS and on winter wheat, however it will remain in place for #1 CWRS (where the standard is 65% HVK). As you may know, the Wheat Growers have been pushing for the elimination of HVK as a grading factor on both CWRS and winter wheat, after CGC studies have shown that the level of HVK has no bearing on milling quality. While we are disappointed HVK remains as a grading factor on #1 CWRS, at least some progress is being made. Wheat Grower director Bill Rusk, our representative on the CGC's western standards committee, will continue to push for the complete removal of HVK on CWRS.

For a list of all grading changes, go to: http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/newsroom/news_releases/2007/2007-05-11-e.htm "

Tom, my understanding was that some of our customers, likely Japan millers and perhaps one or two others, objected to removing HVK from #1 wheat because they're used to buying with an HVK spec as part of their tenders. Hopefully, over time, organizations like the Canadian International Grains Institute can convince them that there's little or no real need for an HVK spec on HRS wheat. We have to remember, though, that "the customer is always right, even when they're wrong." So, convincing some of our customers that KVD isn't important may take a long time.

Note, the Big 3 North American automakers are perfect examples of companies that ignored that old truism about customers. They are now paying a very dear price for ignoring it.

Comment

Lee,

If someone likes high HVK, great they can pay extra! Buy by spec. HVK in CPS did not exist for the longest time... if the bu weight was there it was a #1.

Comment

Tom, I'm not that familiar enough with grading CPS. I looked at the 1995 grain grading guide and the new one effective Apr 20, 2007 and I can't see any mention of HVK there either. So, I'm guessing that HVK was never part of the CPS grade.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...