• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benefits of Farming

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits of Farming

We all talk about the bad parts of farming so how about a list of the good parts.

1-no boss
    2-easy winters
    3-working with,against,and in nature
    4-continually buiding something
    5-non repetitive work
    6-no boss
    7-able to drink on the job
    8-keeps you physically and mentally active

I've tripped pipe on a drilling rig in the middle of the night for an hourly wage and i can tell you that it sucks.
    And if i was stuck in a cubicle trying to sell insurance or something day after day i would blow my brains out within a month.

Anybody have more to add to the list?

- You get to make your own schedule.
    - Same with priorities
    - You can smoke while having that drink.
    - Plenty of fresh air and sunshine.
    - You can take your dog with you wherever you go.
    - The pride you feel when you accomplish what you set out to do, not what others tell you to do.
    - That gas guzzling 4x4 you drive around in actually has a purpose.
    - Pulling neighbors out of the mud or a snowbank is a real hoot. Getting pulled out yourself, not so much.
    - Watching your dog take on skunk is better than any reality TV show.
    - Cops don't drive down dirt roads.

Comment

Farming is like climbing a mountain!

The only limiting factor to our achievements is our fear of the unknown.

Experience:

The only failure in farming is, when I fail to learn the lessons from my experiences;

It's not what I go through in farming that makes me what I am; it's how I react to the world I am going through.

If I am not pushing my limits, I am not discovering anything new!

Its not what I have; it's what I do with what I have!

Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It's not something to be waited for; but rather something to be acheived. [William Jennings Bryan]

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of a man as a whole experince it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing! [Helen Keller]

You either change, or you stagnate. You either leap forward, or you fall backward. You cannot stay where you are today!

If you think you can, or think you can't... your right!

Quotations and insights from John Amatt's "Straight from the Top and Beyond"

Comment

Get to see wild life often.
        In my case walk out my house and instantly stalking that big game.
        We have fresh more healthy eggs everyday.
        Living in the country side, have privacy.
        Can walk around the house naked.

Comment

the wildlife
          silence or just the listening to the birds
          nights when you can see every star

hot rodding in a stubble feild or doing 360s on a snow packed yard in winter (more fun than a ride at the fair)
          if you dont like what your doing , you can work on something else, and rethink the first one

a new challange every day

crop checking with a friend and some beers and the wheat is clipping the mirrors on the truck.

the most miserable rainey day can be the best day all year

Comment

Winter on the prairies is astoundingly beautiful.

-40 with not a breath of wind. With the sun shining so brightly,glistening on the snow like a carpet of diamonds,the farm is breathtaking.

There is no sound.

It is so cold, your eyes water slightly, but at the same time, there is a clarity of mind that seems to result from so much oxygen in the the frigid air.

Noiselessness is a wonder.

Parsley

Comment

Was at the farm on the weekend. Heard three beeeeeeutiful sounds: meadowlarks, red-winged blackbirds and frogs calling.

I live in a small city. Those three sounds beat Harleys, crotch-rockets, screeching tires and sirens hands down.

Comment

In no particular order, The best things about being a farmer and living the country life.

Having a yard so big that you can practice your Eight Iron pitch shots from your front yard and bouncing the ball off the roof of the old grainery.

You can't do that in the city.

Having a yard so big your Twelve year old has space enough to build his own motocross track, complete with table top jumps, berms, woops, anthills and long straightaways, and he learns how to operate the 2130 and loader in the process. Too cool.

Au Natural sunbathing and drinking beer(when the kids aren't around) on the back deck.

Mudbogging, when your just trying to get home after a big rain or during spring thaw.

Learning to drive on the back roads when your thirteen or fourteen (I was convinced I was Bo Duke when I was fourteen and behind the wheel of my sisters big-boat, a 1972 green 4 door Mercury Marquis.)

Being your own boss.

The smell of moist freshly tilled soil.

The clearest view of the Aurora Borealis on a summer night.

The smell of harvest.

Finishing a long day of seeding and revelling in the fact that you didn't have any snafu's and you got 1/3 more seeded than you had planned on getting done that day.

Limit up Canola

Building and expanding

Seeing the entire country side greening up in spring.

Skating on the dugout

96 bu/acre winter wheat

45 bu/ac Canola

4x4 pick-ups

Comment

After a few nights of only a few hours sleep each night to wake up to rain in the morning and going back to bed. Life could not be better.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...