• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

floating on cereal crops?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

floating on cereal crops?

I floated canola on about 8 years ago, it worked okay when it rained (so about 3 weeks ago would have been ideal). But this was on worked, black, dry soil. Now I direct seed so what do I do with stubble? Will a heavy harrow incorporate it or will it just compact the soil so nothing will grow?
    Will it work on cereals? When the snow melts I am going to have a hard look at the volunteer population, maybe just broadcast urea and let it go? Or when it dries up I can go in and band nh3 and 21-0-0-24 with spikes on airseeder to thin out the volunteer canola stand?
    Any other options? What is the maturity of recreational, er I mean medicinal cannibus?

Never tried it but have heard that it is not a good idea. Apparently the seed needs to be in a little deeper so as to be anchored properly.

Comment

Aahhh spring,and a young man`s fancy turns to a .......old car???????

Comment

I would suggest scratching the soil with the airdrill putting on the seed. Without fertilizer if cannot pull the weight. On these wet years I have plenty of seed on top of the ground after planting and works OK , I think the seed on top of the ground is better on top in the bottom of a furrow than on top on harrowed ground . The hard pull I find is my anhydrous tank plus the dry fertilizer in the airtank. If you can keep your tractor from spinning the tires your crop should come up in my opinion, even if it means lightenning your pull with less fert.
        I use the midrow bander system on my airdrill. Sometimes we get hog manure injected in the ground and when I unhook the anhydrous tank and use no dry and lift the midrow banders my airdrill pulls like a light harrow. They say rubber packers would help but I have steel. The mud sc****rs take power also I believe, so possibly an improvement can be made there.

Comment

Nice car.Take it down the railroad tracks.
          Pick up Debbie or Linda (or both) and head to the drive-in movie.
          Hop in the back and relive your lost youth.
          Can I come along Mel?

Comment

In 04 (the frost year) neighbor rented a section by us and never go to seed it because it rained and rained and rained finally one day Early June the local Esso Dealer came and floated on mixture of fert and seed then later that day the guy who rented it came and double harrowed it with a heavy harrow. It came up quick looked good all year and would have made a great crop but it froze in August.
            if one is desperate to get in a crop go for it.

Comment

Eugene Boyco at Stony Plain AB. used to seed all his crops with an airplane every year.

He usually had a pretty good crop too!

Comment

Got a 64 Black Chev Bel Air or an old Monarch, but no Meteor.

Parsley

Comment

Hey, cropduster, couple of things. Look at the posts in the commodity forum regarding air-seeding crops in wet conditions. I had a mental picture of your flying your plane pulling a teeny-tiny air drill behind it.

Also look at the wanted Meteor post in the commodity forum. Some sort of discussion about two girls and railway tracks and . . . . .

Comment

Personally I would use a harrow packer rather than a heavy harrow as I think it would shake the seed down to the soil and then pack it in there. We've never had to do this but I like the harrow packer even on stubble.

Secondly, book your floater ASAP. My dealer west of Edmonton has 2 floaters and he's turning business down like crazy because he's got more than he can handle and can't find people to keep what he has going.

Comment

Lee, You are a Way Too OLD to be thinking about driving a 66 hard top.

Comment

Ya know those old boats with 11 or 12:1 compression V8s should run real fine on E85. Now just to find a station that sells it, and re-jet the carb(s) >;->

Have the administrators of the forums considered cutting the number of topics in the list or consolidating some of them so a person doesn't have to search through them to find one that is active?

Comment

We just floated on some canola with the fertilizer. Field had so many wet spots couldn't see how we would be able to seed with drill. We were going to try to use heavy harrow to incorporate but found that with any down pressure on the tines and with the straw so wet we just made piles in the field. Ended up renting a phoneix harrow and it did an excellent job. Aggressive enough but did have a problem with straw. We have numerous fields in our area where we can't even get on with a floater. Have used a pull spreader behind dualled front wheel assist and that has helped fill in some areas where we can't get the drill.

Comment

You must be a neighbor, Craig! I'd float on seed, but neither a floater nor a tractor and harrows would work.

Comment

I think most of us have given many ideas over time to improve the website and reading of new messages but much like the CWB you stop expecting any change or results if all you ever do is ask for input and see no results.

And in case you missed it Joe Dales, nothing has changed, what's up? As far as readability and use, this site remains a 2 out of 10 with no sign of improvement.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...