• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SF3 and fert vs elevation and cleaning

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SF3 and fert vs elevation and cleaning

It is the little things that seem to catch a guy sometimes. Couldn't help but notice that AU charges now 16.50 for elevation and 8.45 for cleaning malt deliveries. At 2 tonnes an acre that is around $50 dollars an acre. Agpro charges around 15.80 and 8 bucks ish.

Highway robbery considering there was no way I can contract a price for my malt back in Nov '06 and know to what ridiculous levels grain handlers would raise the charges for going up a leg and drop it into a car.

And Saskfarmer3 is worried about fert prices, yes they are high, but this is ridiculous so I say good riddance to the archaic lack of marketing method and openness of the CWB where I wait around unknowingly till everyone has their share of my malt cheque.

Don't you just love "marketing choice"?

I too can't wait for an open-market. I planted some AC Metcalfe this year.

Once the CWB is out of the picture I'm confident that Super-SWP will be begging me to deliver my select barley and will be very competitive.

Plus, once the the CWB is gone, there will no longer be a $50/tonne deduction off my selected barley deliveries. This will be additional money in my pocket

I planted 640 acres of AC Metcalfe this year. If I can pull off a yield of 1.60 tonnes/acres, I will pocket an extra (1.6/tonnes/acre x $50/tonne x 640 acres) $51,200.

Time to buy a new Silverado HD 2500.

Comment

Benny. Only $50/t deduction? You must live close to salt water. I think I'm closer to $65.

With the CWB out of the way, that should allow a guy to haul directly to any malt plant and skip the elevation and cleaning bill. Yes/no?

Comment

H2S, nothing to do with transportation cost (freight) this is simply the elevation and cleaning charge - nothing else. Will I pay for it open market? Yes, but at least I know the price for the product before making a contract.

The point is can the CWB do anything about the outrageous increase in those two charges this year? Given they have ran like scared sheep as of late, it is doubtful.

Since there will probably no longer be raping with malt I wonder if the wheat elevation will be $20 per tonne and cleaning $10 next year. They have to make money somehow. I don't think there is any thing that can be done since all the wheat goes to elevators.

Comment

colevilleh2s

you may be able to haul directly to a malt plant and skip elevation and freight.
          but the malt plant will subtract it from the price they offer.

they only have to offer a cent or 2 more (total) than we can get any where else, for us to drop it in their pit.

whether their will be any competition with grain co.s and malsters , we will see. Maybe the malsters want all the handling money in their pockets.

if you think your gonna get an export malt price plus frt. hld. and cleaning, your dreaming.

Comment

sawfly; Don't give these guys a dose of reality, so early in the crop year. They will again become sad, threaten to call the auctioneer, then lobby the government for more and more help, poor farmers just can't win. Apparently the open market is going to suck, just like the cwb, wow what a surprise. The thought that our grain company friends would take advantage of us , just boogles my mind.

Comment

Wow WD its amazing how something that we all know has been happening for years. Grain companies taking more than their share.
              But when a farmer (like yourself) thinks something serious like the huge difference we pay for a Canadian product and our American counter parts get cheaper from here is OK its a sad day.
              I agree that the pools Cargill JR and Agricor are increasing prices.
              But not by 100% on the notion Americans will use more but at the same time sell to these same American farmers for 20% less.
              Ship producer car if your worried. Malt barley by rail or picked up at farm $4.00 No CWB.

Comment

Producer car for sure, we used to do them all the time. Maybe with wheat we will go back to them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...