• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unseeded Acres

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unseeded Acres

Anybody going to say screw it and give up? We got about 20 mm last night on the land that was too wet before. I am starting to doubt there will be much seeded before June 20 (which is way to late to seed anything you plan on combining?).
    I am thinking of a silage or greenfeed crop to try to dry the land out (seeded very late) followed by winter wheat or fall seeded canola?
    Can I seed after the crop insurance deadline? If I collect unseeded acre benefit? I am geting very tired of dragging chains through the mud.

I think I'm done. I might try one quarter of polish canola if I can get on by the 20th. I seeded on june 22 in 1995, and harvested number one. Who knows? As I mentioned in another thread, I got a plane in yesterday to drop seed for me. I harrowed the mud after, getting stuck almost 14 times, and making a general mess of the land. Something needs to be seeded to slurp up moisture, I agree. One field I may summerfallow, and seed rye this fall. An economical crop to seed, and a cheap crop to sell, but if I put 8 bucks of seed, and nothing else, I don't think it would be too bad. Other than drowned out areas in the spring.
    One better drained field that is ready, but I can't get at due to water runs, I may chem-fallow, and put winter wheat.
    I think the greenfeed/winter wheat idea sound good. yes, I think you can seed even after getting the unseeded acre money, it's just that you won't be insured.
    I wonder how they can prove that I seeded with a plane? Maybe I can get a poor crop and the unseeded money. I doubt it.

Comment

On Sunday I drove north of Regina about almost an hour out and even just out side the city their is land that is not finished seeding. Yes the one guy is organic and he never seeds till middle of June but their were other quarters and I don't think those guys are chem fallowing.
      Our two bachelors are still seeding and haven't phoned yet they have 8 to go.
      One note canola I haven't seen any fields that are a 10 yet. Lots of 6 and 7 but also lots of 4 and threes. Flee beetles and just plain cold soil are contributing to the poor looking crops.
      Shes a long way from the bin boys.

Comment

got 4 days in first since May 19, took three of those four to do 400 acres, yet then tuesday did 175 , all depends on the fields and how much time being stuck and continually turning around.
        500 acres left, south of Red Deer here, had 1.5 inches late tuesday - early wendesday. Maybe back out there next week.
        Erik

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...