• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ritter in the Winnipeg Free Press

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ritter in the Winnipeg Free Press

Sometimes I’m left just shaking my head…….

Don't leave farmers on the hook
    Winnipeg Free Press
    Ken Ritter

<b>comments in bold are mine.</b>

WHEN it comes to the hasty changes proposed for barley marketing, industry stakeholders are obviously concerned about defending their bottom lines.

It is unclear whose bottom line GrainVision chair Paul Orsak is concerned about, judging by his recent comments (CWB Meets Real World, May 31). It certainly isn't the farmers' bottom line, which is little surprise considering that the GrainVision group includes a number of large grain companies.

<b>I didn’t read Paul’s comments, but I know Paul and I know GrainVision – you can be sure that they all are concerned for the viability of the industry in which they operate, which includes concern for the bottom line of producers. For Ken Ritter to suggest otherwise simply shows how out of touch with reality he really is.</b>

By contrast, the farmers' bottom line is the only concern of the CWB, which sells their grain at competitive market prices with the exclusive goal of maximizing their returns. All sales' profits are returned to producers, which obviously does not occur through the grain companies.

<b>”exclusive goal of maximizing returns” This is a ridiculous statement. The CWB has often stated the purpose of price pooling is to mitigate risk by selling consistently through the crop year, selling in both the lows and the highs. This does not maximize returns. Studies have PROVEN that year-in, year-out the CWB’s sales performance is well below the average for the crop year. Also, the CWB system carries a huge price tag in terms of cost over a non-CWB system; the non-CWB system is just more efficient. If the CWB really believed it was maximizing returns, it would opt for a more efficient system – like the non-CWB system.</b>

Mr. Orsak not only ignores this crucial point, he makes the nonsensical statement that the CWB could offer a "reasonable price" and pay Canadian farmers "world values" for malting barley. In fact, the CWB does not offer farmers a "price" at all, but passes the entire profit back to farmers -- all gleaned from "world values".

<b>Mr. Orsak is right about what the CWB could offer. Since the CWB DOES NOT have a monopoly on Canadian barley, it does indeed “offer a price” – which is most often not competitive with other market alternatives for farmers. </ b>

Mr. Orsak surely knows that most farmers take a pooled return through the CWB. This means they receive the average of all returns achieved from all buyers of their type of grain, across the entire crop year. This is obviously different than a spot-market price, which is the going rate on a particular day into a particular world market.

<b>Again – the CWB sales performance is well below the average for the crop year. By accepting the pool return, farmers are accepting poor prices relative to the average for the crop year. This is non-debatable. And why does the CWB always talk about the spot price? Many farmers are sophisticated marketers and the spot price is often meaningless because they have often forward sold on a DDC, taking advantage of early pricing opportunities or price spreads that are more than enough incentive to store.</b>

He would do well to remember that the CWB's pooled return is often significantly higher than the spot-market prices. <b>WRONG.</b> It seems unlikely that he would be calling for "world values" to be paid to farmers for malting barley if that were the case right now. <b>Equally, it seems unlikely that the CWB would have an argument for delaying the open market since the pool price would look very attractive.</b> Instead, spot prices rose as the crop-year progressed because of severe drought in Australia that decimated its barley crop. The CWB certainly did not sell malting barley at prices below world market values at the time of sale. In fact, in most years, the CWB's strategy to compete with Australia by selling a large volume of malting barley early in the crop year has kept farmers' pooled returns high.

<b>What has Ritter been smoking! The CWB has always waited till the domestic maltsters were at least 75-80% covered and then - and only then - tried to make offshore sales. THEY NEVER COMPETE WITH AUSTRALIA BY SELLING FOR EARLY SHIPMENT IN THE CROP YEAR. We are lucky to have 1-3 vessels shipped before Christmas. If the CWB did ship in Sept/Oct it was always old crop that they carried over because they were trying to extract a higher price. Ken should get some guidance from the sales department before making erroneous and misleading public comments like this.</b>

In the real world, companies do default on contracts when it is impossible to fulfil them. What is making it impossible for the CWB to fulfil its malting barley contracts now is the federal government's announcement of an unexpectedly sudden shift to an open market for barley. This has been set to occur on August 1 of this year -- instead of in 2008 as suggested by the minister's own task force, of which Mr. Orsak was a member.

<b> What I don’t get is this: how would waiting for another day help? It doesn’t matter when you do this, there would be some commercial angst – contracts on the books that need fulfilling. If we were to wait until 2008 like Ritter suggests, we’d simply find ourselves in the same spot – the CWB would have stuff on the books that would need to be dealt with and they’d find a way to complain anyway.</b>

All of this has done two things. Firstly, it has made customers hesitant to buy barley through the CWB at current high prices, since they can see that they may be able to get better deals later when competing grain sellers duke it out in the open market. This means fewer sales can be made by the CWB at current high prices, which would otherwise increase the pooled returns to farmers.

<b>What a bunch of drivel! Some buyers are waiting because they don’t know if any contract they make right now with a grain company will be challenged by the CWB if the court challenge wins. The CWB is unwilling to make any more sales because they are unsure of how to operate in an open market (so says Ward Weisensel in a recent article). Ritter should pay more attention to what’s going on – there is business going on right now. Perhaps they aren’t dealing with the CWB right now because they finally don’t have to.</b>

Secondly, in a kind of Catch 22, farmers have been hesitant to deliver their malting barley through the CWB because of the relatively lower pooled values compared to the current spot-market prices, which some believe they can soon access.

<b>This is idiotic. Back in Feb the CWB released its new crop PROs. On 2row malt barley, the new crop PRO was $35/tonne higher than the old crop PRO. $35!!! This is a huge incentive to hold anything you have until new crop. The CWB’s own price signals told farmers to hold! And now they say farmers are not selling to the CWB because of the government! Give me a break!</b>

The situation has been worsened by comments from the minister himself which could be interpreted as encouraging farmers to breach their contracts with the CWB.

The result? A potential for defaulted contracts and liability claims that may end up being shouldered by farmers, who pay all the bills at the CWB and are in no way to blame for this debacle. The government, in its haste to change the marketing system, is causing this pain. The government must take steps to ensure that farmers are not once again left holding the bag.

<b>Ken – the potential for default would be there anytime you make this change – it has nothing to do with haste. It has everything to do with the market price action – if the market was plummeting because of excellent crops around the world, the CWB’s contracts would look pretty rosy and there would zero discussion about defaults.</b>

GrainVision could do farmers a service by insisting on this as well.

<b>By supporting the open market, GrainVision is indeed taking steps to ensure that farmers are not once again left holding the bag. Anyone with a good sense of logic can see that the CWB is holding farmers back.

Ken – take a message from Lee Iaccoca; “Either lead, follow or get out of the way”. I think its time for you to just get out of the way.</b>

Just curious. Why are you "hammering" away at Ritter. I thought that the "battle" was over. You soon will be able to go around/over/behind the CWB anyway.

Are you scared that farmers MIGHT market THEIR barley with the CWB?

I'm sure that they can decide for themselves.

Comment

wilagro:
      You must be the only one that has resigned himself to the battle being over. With the court challenge in play, there is no certainty of anything right now.

And that's unfortunate.

If the battle is over, why did Ritter write this piece in the first place? My guess is he's still fighting the battle.

(Also - apologies about the bold text in the first post - guess I forgot to turn it off at one point. Hopefully my comments are discernible from Ken's.)

Comment

Reposting for clarity.....

Sometimes I’m left just shaking my head…….

Don't leave farmers on the hook
        Winnipeg Free Press
        Ken Ritter

<b>comments in bold are mine.</b>

WHEN it comes to the hasty changes proposed for barley marketing, industry stakeholders are obviously concerned about defending their bottom lines.

It is unclear whose bottom line GrainVision chair Paul Orsak is concerned about, judging by his recent comments (CWB Meets Real World, May 31). It certainly isn't the farmers' bottom line, which is little surprise considering that the GrainVision group includes a number of large grain companies.

<b>I didn’t read Paul’s comments, but I know Paul and I know GrainVision – you can be sure that they all are concerned for the viability of the industry in which they operate, which includes concern for the bottom line of producers. For Ken Ritter to suggest otherwise simply shows how out of touch with reality he really is.</b>

By contrast, the farmers' bottom line is the only concern of the CWB, which sells their grain at competitive market prices with the exclusive goal of maximizing their returns. All sales' profits are returned to producers, which obviously does not occur through the grain companies.

<b>”exclusive goal of maximizing returns” This is a ridiculous statement. The CWB has often stated the purpose of price pooling is to mitigate risk by selling consistently through the crop year, selling in both the lows and the highs. This does not maximize returns. Studies have proven that year-in, year-out the CWB’s sales performance is well below the average for the crop year. Also, the CWB system carries a huge price tag in terms of cost over a non-CWB system; the non-CWB system is just more efficient. If the CWB really believed it was maximizing returns, it would opt for a more efficient system – like the non-CWB system.</b>

Mr. Orsak not only ignores this crucial point, he makes the nonsensical statement that the CWB could offer a "reasonable price" and pay Canadian farmers "world values" for malting barley. In fact, the CWB does not offer farmers a "price" at all, but passes the entire profit back to farmers -- all gleaned from "world values".

<b>Mr. Orsak is right about what the CWB could offer. Since the CWB DOES NOT have a monopoly on Canadian barley, it does indeed “offer a price” – which is most often not competitive with other market alternatives for farmers. </b>

Mr. Orsak surely knows that most farmers take a pooled return through the CWB. This means they receive the average of all returns achieved from all buyers of their type of grain, across the entire crop year. This is obviously different than a spot-market price, which is the going rate on a particular day into a particular world market.

<b>Again – the CWB sales performance is well below the average for the crop year. By accepting the pool return, farmers are accepting poor prices relative to the average for the crop year. This is non-debatable. And why does the CWB always talk about the spot price? Many farmers are sophisticated marketers and the spot price is often meaningless because they have often forward sold on a DDC , taking advantage of early pricing opportunities or price spreads that are more than enough incentive to store.</b>

He would do well to remember that the CWB's pooled return is often significantly higher than the spot-market prices. <b>WRONG.</b> It seems unlikely that he would be calling for "world values" to be paid to farmers for malting barley if that were the case right now. Instead, spot prices rose as the crop-year progressed because of severe drought in Australia that decimated its barley crop. The CWB certainly did not sell malting barley at prices below world market values at the time of sale. In fact, in most years, the CWB's strategy to compete with Australia by selling a large volume of malting barley early in the crop year has kept farmers' pooled returns high.

<b>What has Ritter been smoking! The CWB has always waited till the domestic maltsters were at least 75-80% covered and then - and only then - tried to make offshore sales. We are lucky to have 1-3 vessels shipped before Christmas. If the CWB did ship in Sept/Oct it was always old crop that they carried over because they were trying to extract a higher price. Ken should get some guidance from the sales department before making erroneous and misleading public comments like this.</b>

In the real world, companies do default on contracts when it is impossible to fulfil them. What is making it impossible for the CWB to fulfil its malting barley contracts now is the federal government's announcement of an unexpectedly sudden shift to an open market for barley. This has been set to occur on August 1 of this year -- instead of in 2008 as suggested by the minister's own task force, of which Mr. Orsak was a member.

<b> What I don’t get is this: how would waiting for another day help? It doesn’t matter when you do this, there would be some commercial angst – contracts on the books that need fulfilling. If we were to wait until 2008 like Ritter suggests, we’d simply find ourselves in the same spot – the CWB would have stuff on the books that would need to be dealt with and they’d complain anyway.</b>

All of this has done two things. Firstly, it has made customers hesitant to buy barley through the CWB at current high prices, since they can see that they may be able to get better deals later when competing grain sellers duke it out in the open market. This means fewer sales can be made by the CWB at current high prices, which would otherwise increase the pooled returns to farmers.

<b>What a bunch of drivel! Some buyers are waiting because they don’t know if any contract they make right now with a grain company will be challenged by the CWB if the court challenge wins. The CWB is unwilling to make any more sales because they are unsure of how to operate in an open market (so says Ward Weisensel in a recent article). Ritter should pay more attention to what’s going on – there is business going on right now. Perhaps they aren’t dealing with the CWB right now because they finally don’t have to.</b>

Secondly, in a kind of Catch 22, farmers have been hesitant to deliver their malting barley through the CWB because of the relatively lower pooled values compared to the current spot-market prices, which some believe they can soon access.

<b>This is idiotic. Back in Feb the CWB released its new crop PROs. On 2row malt barley, the new crop PRO was $35/tonne higher than the old crop PRO. $35!!! This is a huge incentive to hold anything you have until new crop. The CWB’s own price signals told farmers to hold! And now they say farmers are not selling to the CWB because of the government! Give me a break!</b>

The situation has been worsened by comments from the minister himself which could be interpreted as encouraging farmers to breach their contracts with the CWB.

The result? A potential for defaulted contracts and liability claims that may end up being shouldered by farmers, who pay all the bills at the CWB and are in no way to blame for this debacle. The government, in its haste to change the marketing system, is causing this pain. The government must take steps to ensure that farmers are not once again left holding the bag.

<b>Ken – the potential for default would be there anytime you make this change – it has nothing to do with haste. IT has everything to do with the market price action – if the market was plummeting because of excellent crops around the world, the CWB’s contracts would look pretty rosy and there would zero discussion about defaults.</b>

GrainVision could do farmers a service by insisting on this as well.

<b>By supporting the open market, GrainVision is indeed taking steps to ensure that farmers are not once again left holding the bag. Anyone with a good sense of logic can see that the CWB is holding farmers back.

Ken – take a message from Lee Iaccoca; “Either lead, follow or just get out of the way”. I think its time for you to just get out of the way.</b>

Comment

It was clear enough the first time chaffy. You can always spot the controlled language of the CWB.

Do you feel better now getting that off your chest? Did you expect anything less as the CWB administration fights to keep their "non value added" world alive?

And I agree it's not over yet. For those of us who lived through the Continental barley market we remember reversals in decisions.

Thankfully Strahl and his team see through this bunk and are determined to see this through to the proper end.

Charlie makes a good point in another post that the CWB may learn a thing or two about marketing (wheat) through this process too.

Comment

If the CWB wants to get the best prices to farmers they should not go ahead with court challenges. In my eyes that must be hurting trade more than anything.
            I also think farmers have learned a good lesson this year on pooled accounts. Avoid them. Is it possible us farmers could hold back our grain for a couple weeks to force the CWB to bid for our grain? How long would it take?

Comment

kamichel,

The CWB has proven Chaffmeisters points so well in the past 12 months.

THat the CWB will not allow cash pricing 12 months of the year... and run a pool out of that system... has been and will be it's downfall.

The lack of flexibility is crippling.

It is disturbing these managers have not learned over the past 10 years... since they were given new tools... how to allow growers to maximise their own returns!

Its sad they still don't get it...

Growers who don't use the pool... are a cash cow for the CWB... and are used to pad the pool. My post above:

"The late sign-up adjustment factor can be either positive or negative. It is determined by taking the average futures on CWB sales to date subtracting the current futures and foreign exchange then multiplying it by the percentage of the pool sold."

How can this "factor" and "penalty" be anything less than an admission the CWB is going to take value away from those who don't want the CWB's help!

Buy backs that used to put extra $$$ in our pockets were soon stopped.

Ritter must know better. He has the "GUN" out and pointed... but his smile leaves much to be desired!

Comment

Here is the article from the Free Press, Erik

By: Paul Orsak
                Chair, GrainVision

Recent commentary has seen the Canadian Wheat Board (CWB) and some companies calling for a year’s delay to the introduction of marketing choice in barley. The call for delay has been accompanied by CWB speculation that they may default on existing contracts.

Farmers should not be shocked to hear a minority of industry stakeholders defend the current system. They are just doing what we expect of every value chain participant, from farmers through to processors – they are defending their bottom line.

In a way the publicity generated by the few who want to delay reform is good news for farmers. The natural promotion of their own interests has helped shed welcome light on how the Canadian barley market has functioned under the CWB single desk.

Processors’ concerns, generated by the CWB’s threat that they may not fulfill their contractual obligations, can only mean one thing. The CWB must have priced malt barley sales well below the current market. CWB default would mean processors would have to go direct to farmers and pay higher prices for their requirements.

Reports indicate that the malting industry even expects government compensation for the increase in malt barley price. Most people will have a hard time with the concept that Canadian taxpayers should be expected to compensate companies because they may no longer have preferential deals with the CWB.

Throughout the marketing choice debate, the CWB has vigorously tried to portray itself as a commercial entity. It is now time for the organization to start acting like one. In the real world, companies cannot default on contracts just because they made a mistake, sold below the market price, or find that after a sale has been negotiated prices have risen. There should be no different expectation of the CWB. They should be expected to live up to their contractual obligations. Tools are available to them to manage these situations.

The CWB has argued that farmers will not deliver to them and they may therefore not have enough barley to meet its contacts with maltsters. There are very simple commercial solutions to this problem.

Like any other buyer, the CWB could offer a reasonable price. They have the means, and could pay Canadian farmers world values for malting barley. And guess what, Canadian farmers would respond to this price and deliver to the Board!

Instead the CWB has lowered the PRO for the 06/07 malt pool. This is a bit like the carpenter who cut his board three times, and still found it too short! Lowering the malting barley price to farmers isn’t going to bring in more barley.

This potential problem isn’t a result of the implementation of marketing choice. The fact is, if the CWB can’t offer farmers market value for their barley it makes no difference whether they have a single desk or not; farmers either won’t grow malting barley or won’t deliver it to the CWB.

If the CWB doesn’t think they can pay farmers more, they could offer to tender out their contractual obligations to the Canadian grain trade. These are just two examples. Other commercial solutions are available to them.

Speculation about CWB contact defaults is merely fear mongering; an attempt to make the implementation of marketing choice more difficult. The Board of Directors at the CWB must seriously ask themselves how raising the specter of CWB defaults is serving the interests of farmers. In fact, how is it serving the interests of the CWB?

All of this discussion hides the biggest issue in the current debate. It is clear that the CWB has sold malt barley at well below the current market price. In the past, farmers selling malt barley would have been obliged to absorb and pay for the CWB’s mistakes. Under marketing choice, that’s no longer the case.

Isn’t it a good thing that barley farmers won’t be required to accept these kinds of bad deals in the future? Isn’t it a good thing that the CWB will be forced, through commercial market disciplines, into being accountable for its sales policy? How would farmers be served by continuing to compel them to accept any price that the CWB negotiates? This is the discussion that needs to occur.

GrainVision is a coalition that includes grassroots farmers, farm organizations, grain handling companies, processors, end-users, and business organizations. The group is galvanized by the adherence to the basic principle that agricultural policy must foster growth, innovation, and competitiveness in the Canadian grain industry.

Comment

Excellent penmanship Paul!!!

Comment

Cropduster,

It is sad that Chairman Ritter keeps spreading bold facedmdeceptions.

Poor Ritter... he suddenly realises that the gun he trys to hold grain growers hostage with... has been reloaded with blanks since the Conservatives are governing.

Ritter knows once the average grower figures out just how badly the CWB is at marketing our grain... they/we will ask some very difficult questions!

You are on call Chairman Ritter... be sure... we are going to call for an accounting of the words you speak.

The people the CWB considered "detractors" are now becoming the majority of growers the CWB steals its grain... to give away to "special" freinds it considers worthy of discount prices.

What exactly is the motivation behind these give away deals... CHairman Ritter? ALgeria... Brazil... Malt companies...

How long is the list of our grain.... stolen.... to give to multi-nationals... Chairman Bitter, McBleareary, and the rest of your collective Borg drones?

Is the "Jolly Rodger" being readied for the last... full power charge... to ram those who pay its bills and it is supposed to serve?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...