• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

barley/corn

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

barley/corn

Charlie and others, need some help here.

In the last 2 weeks we saw dlvd Lethbridge bids at $4.25/bu for feed barley and $5.05/bu for feed wheat. Since the USDA report have these weakened off, or are they still available? At the same time we had seen equivalent bids (above less trucking) into some elevators in SK and MB, which represented a pop of 50 cents/bu from spring.

I've also heard US corn has traded into s. AB feedlots, i.e. more since the Husky play last month. Can anyone confirm this or know the price?

Finally on the barley - it seems obvious to me that a couple of line companies have exported new-crop feed barley outside the board. otherwise i can't justify any market that would have allowed them to offer forward contracts at $3.60-3.80/bu for aug/sep in Sask. the best deals filled before the legal challenges were launched, so now i'm wondering, what are the chances of a few more vessels being sold for these positions? probably worse for domestic reasons but the saudi is still short and the farmer will deliver if they want to sell these levels again...

fwiw our focus has turned to actual contracts and world supply/demand. i would like to hear everyone's ideas on these real, current issues.

frankly, the theoretical way barley marketing 'should be' post-board is getting a little boring and stale. there is now a way that it 'is'. for those of us with an interest and stake in it, barley pricing is shaping up to be very interesting. why are so few grasping this? is there a hesitation to discuss what's really going on publicly?

I'm seeing the same thing - a real hesitation by both farmers and grain cos to pull the trigger. There are some very good bids available for offshore business but only a few have bitten.

Could be the court challenges and the potential loss of the open market.

BTW - there is a hearing tomorrow to determine the schedule - expedited or not. We should know a lot more by the end of the week.

Comment

Can't help you out much on current cash pricing (not as close as I used to be) except to note the numbers you quote are within the weekly Alberta Grain Commission feed grain price survey. Haven't heard that much on corn imports except to note the numbers are starting to work. There is always early resistance to making the switch but between lower US corn prices/tight July 31 barley supplies, corn imports will start to happen. Once the unit trains start coming north and feedlots switch rations, it will be hard to turn off the tap. Has a nice freight fit/back haul potential with wheat moving south to the US milling markets.

Agree with all the other comments.

Comment

Only other comment is that corn is working on CP lines. BN/CN freight link is not competitive.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...