• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harper miscalculates

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That last comment is pure baloney. Donation limits put an end to the issue of corporate financing of campaigns. Donations are the best indicator of the health of a party. If the libs and dippers can't get donations, they should take it as a signal of their popularity and fix their problems. It's time for them to get out of the public trough.

Comment

Sometimes you have to lose a battle to win the war. Harper's only mistake was to give the opposition another week. I think Canadians are smart enough to see this is about public funding of political parties and they would boot the liberals and ndp hard. Harper is going to get his majority. Either way, on this one, the liberals are not gaining support.

Comment

Alls i see is fragmentation,i cant imagine anyone ever getting a majority.

This economic thing is NOT going to drive quebec and ontario voters into the arms of the conservatives.

A liberal minority with ignataweirdo is very real.

Comment

This all goes back to the way the Cons won the election, or at least gained the most seats. They continually hammerd away at Dionne calling him weak and ineffective, even before the election was called. They used their accumulated war chest to mock him, not put forward their own positive agenda. Even if they were right in their opinion, it set the stage for what has transpired. They expect the opposition to support them after such a bitter election. Had they been concilliatory in there new parliament and met with the opposition to discuss government actions to allleviate the economic crisis. Instead they poked the opposition in the eye with a sharp stick. Do you think any intelligent person thinks that was good governance? The Cons will launch another series of attack ads to try to discredit the opposition. It will serve to further divide the country. If Harper wants to keep power , he should bite the bullet admit they acted without enough thought and ask the opposition to help them come up with a better plan. Otherwise he will go down as another one term Prime Minister.

Comment

Hey Agstar are you done your christmas shopping yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSP_i9MI9NU

Comment

Fransisco: And where is Harper's "commemorative" plate to be found? Perhaps in the bottom of a p*** pot.

Comment

public funding of political parties have weakend our democracy. It has allowed public subsidization of Quebec seperation, it has kept the liberal party from being grounded to the people.

Take this attepted coup, it wasn't coming from some great groundswell from the people, it originated in the minds of Chretien and Broadbent and in the backrooms of stale festering ivory towers of Liberaldom.

Harpers idea of getting all parties off the public tit comes from the people who despise the idea of having their tax dollars going to seperatists and other unsavory creatures who do not speak for them and never will.

The product(s) offered by political parties are ideas. And I and probably 90% of all other Canadians believe Quebec seperation and for that matter western seperation are BAD ideas that are Bad for the country. Yet we give those (the Bloc) money to continue to advance that idea and advance disunity amoungst Canadians.

Now chuckchuck give me one, just one, argument that shows me I'm wrong.

And really is too much to ask for people who strongly support an idea or a cause or a party to actually put their money where their mouths are and fund it.

Ask not what the counrty can do for you but ask what can you do for your country. JFK words are just as relevent today as they were in 1961, maybe even more so.

But chuckchuck your advocating the exact opposite, you want the counrty built on the idea that it's nobel to be a freeloader. Self reliance is evil and must be mocked and reviled.

We're talking ten bucks or twenty bucks here. If a person can't even bother to part with that they really need to quit complaining. And I don't care who you are and what your financial condition is. Donating to a political party is not onerous.

Obama raised over $600 million and the average donation was $86 bucks.

These three who flew over the coo coo's nest are exactly what is wrong with our democracy.

Political party finacing based on voluntary donations only takes the power away from the backrooms and ivory towers and gives the power back to the citizens where it belongs.

Comment

A.S. , one problem with your reasoning. Harper did not get a Majority, he govern's at the pleasure of Parliament.

Comment

Agstar, I'm talking about a basic principle here, not about the current politics of the issue.

whether it be 2008, 2018 or 3008 the principle of voluntary contibutions only is sound.

Your debating whether Harper was overly opportunist, I don't know that, maybe he was but I do know the basis of the principle is good for democracy.

But with perpetual minorities we can never look beyong six months. And that is a serious problem for this country and I blame the Bloc 100% for that.

Comment

Thought I should throw up a map link for the last election. Conservatives got 38 % of the popular vote with Liberals next at 26%. Where parties got elected is also important.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/map/2008/fullscreen.html#

source CBC

Comment

CHARLIE,

What the OPP'S are doing is TREASON.

THE LIBERANO/DIPPER/SUPRANOS ARE LICKING THEIR LIPS... TO PLUNDER WESTERN cANADA... IF THEY WERE IN ANY WAY SERIOUS ABOUT MAINTAINING A BALANCED BUDGET.

I WILL SAY IT AGAIN... THIS IS TREASON.

ANY GG... THAT WOULD INSTALL THESE SUPERANOS... AND ALLOW THE DESTABALISATION OF cANADA... BY GIVING THE BALANCE OF POWER TO SEPARATISTS... WOULD BE CHEERING FOR THE BREAKUP OF CANADA.

cERTAINLY NOT THE PROPER ROLE OF THE GOVERNOR GENERAL... IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

THIS WOULD BE TREASON... AND PM HARPER SHOULD TREAT IT AS SUCH... AND DO A PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE.

Comment

Let the frogs walk,who cares,we would be richer in the end.Dont they get more equalization than everyone else combined?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...