• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landlords and their vote

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlords and their vote

Weber didn't want alot of cwb BS on his last thread and some of the resposes got me thinking.

If you had a landlord that rented you the his farm and then told you every day what to grow and how to grow it - how long would you rent or tell him to bugger off. His risk is ZERO once he makes the decision to rent.

So why does a landlord have a say in how your income is made? A vote either way for or against the cwb is not his responsibility - is it? Otherwise he should still be farming - right?

I will play devils advocate. Lets say you are a board supporter and your landlord vote against the single desk. Isn't it something like what I explained above? Technically its not of the landlords business.

Am I missing something?

Just to check my knowledge, a landlord only has their
    permit if they have a crop share agreement or
    perhaps a custom farming one. So they are taking
    risk although not the extent the actual person doing
    the farming is.

Comment

That's right Charlie, a landlord who doesn't get crop share doesn't show up on a permit book, neither as an 00, nor 01.

Comment

Taking a step further back, it should be pointed out that MNP really isn't the independent third party it's been made out to be in these elections. It has no power or authority over anything, it merely processes the paperwork. All of the authority, the rules, whether they are enforced or not, and the voters list comes from the CWB. The fox is guarding the hen house.

If the CWB thinks its advantageous to have your Landlord vote then he will get a vote.

Webber is on to something by comparing the number of voters or permitbook holders to census numbers. Something doesn't jive.

Should we really be surprised that the CWB gets the result it wants when it holds most of the cards?

Comment

I don't think there is an answer to who votes that would satisfy everyone. There are people that have permit books that should not have a say and some that do not that should. Some have permit books on a minimum of 80 acres I think, in order to keep the farm fuel rebate alive, and deductions through income tax. Also some manipulate the cais program, it,s not right but it's happenning.
          On the other side as far as votes weighted by quantity of production in my case I have cut back on board grains simply becuase I don't agree with having to pay a premium to recieve my own money to recieve more of my own money especially once my grain is out of my possession the other option of waiting a year to recieve my final amount is useless in the tough years expecially when paying interest on loans. However I would greatly increase my board grain acres (variable year to year) if I could market it myself.
          I do think however that the automakers should have to participate in a pooling situation for their car sales instead of a bail out. After all pooling is so good you don't have to worry about marketing at all somebody who doesn't even have to know anything about cars or sales at all can sell your vehicles for you and you can either wait a year to recieve all your money or pay a premium to recieve more of your own money from sales you made.

Comment

Just helping my knowledge base, what is the difference between a 00 and 01 on a permit book.

Also for my assistance, my understanding is that a farm corporation (leaving the complexity out) gets one vote - not individual shareholders even though they may have major management input/risk. A partnership (either arms length or within a family including a spouse) gets one vote (assuming one permit book).

What is the difference between owning shares in a farm company or an interest in a partnership and someone who collects rent on a crop share basis? Most crop share landlords have limited input into management decisions. They may have some say on marketing their portion but again it is a matter of risk taken/impact on the overall farming busines for the major owners (sole proprietors, full partners, owners of common shares in farm corporation with management control).

Comment

when you lose say little when you win say less

Comment

A quote from E-malt.

"The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be the beginning. "

Ivy Baker Priest

Comment

skhadenuf

Good point about the auto makers. If they are at the public trough then I agree to a point.

BANKS. They get 75 billion in loan guarantees - still have profit and don't have to take the full rate cut. Between the last 2 cuts banks are currently .5 higher than they should be.

Comment

The comments on this thread indicate the obvious. The process was designed to get the results the liberals wanted. As long as board supporters remain in control you will never see a review of the election process. For that matter you will never see a review of the wheat board permit system. Currently you are allowing some people the right to submit multiple ballots.The strength in board support lies in both smaller farmers and older farmers. While I respect their right, I don't respect their right to tell me how to run my business. If they would give me the risk management tools I need, we could reach a compromise. So far the board has failed miserably.

Comment

Buy the old fools out.Thats the key.The free market side already controls 90% of the capital in this industry.The CWet Blanket is suppressing the entire ag economy.
                      When,as is inevitable,that chill of over regulation is finally lifted,land prices will go up at least 20%.
                      In other words,your zombie cwb neighbors are keeping the land artificially cheaper so YOU can expand.

Comment

winwin it's a conspiracy we are all waiting for you to go broke so we can buy you out for 50 cents on the dollar

Comment

If winwin keeps on complaining, I might even offer him 25 cents on the dollar.

As far as landlords go...I am a landlord and I should have a permitbook and a vote for a CWB director as well. What is undemocratic or unfair about that?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...