• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old fools2

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old fools2

Listen, I’ve spent 90% of my farming career, being at odds to one degree or another with my father. The experiences and lessons he learned growing up and starting to farm just never seemed to fit with my experiences. It seemed no matter what I did, it was wrong. I would explain in great detail the reasons and rational behind my decisions. I would point to lessons I have learned through trial and error, lessons that apply to today not 1965. At times none of mattered, because there was just no way he was willing to give an inch.

But then I figured out that this wasn’t about me doing things wrong and him being worried about my future, it was about him. He had a hard time facing the fact that he could have made better decisions. When I was growing 30 plus canola and his fields we’re in the low 20’s it never was the fact he only put down 50 lbs of N and I put down 90 lbs. I was never the fact that I would grow the newest varieties and he was growing whatever was the least expensive seed to buy. He would bitch because I wasn’t spending most of my time in the shop holding the trouble light for him, instead of spending so much time in my office in front of my DTN and crunching numbers.

This year was the first year since 1956 he didn’t have a crop and he’s a much more contented man. He was quite successful at farming and he made some good money and saved and invested even more. He never new the experience of an operating loan or a machinery loan, but his success was benchmarked to 1978, and getting a 1978 result in 2008 won’t cut it. Yet our industry can’t prosper if the big decisions are benchmarked to 1978.

So, I don’t think its right to use the label old fools, but our industry (including the cwb) has to operate in the world of today and the realities of 2008. CWB elections and plebiscites put way too much power in the hands of the people who still benchmark back to the 1970’s. This is a problem and it has to change, or we are all just a year or two away from retirement.

im tired of u idiots blaming older generation for wheat board directer elections-- some 60% voted pro wheatboard in dist 8 it seems to me both pro choice candidates are 65 and retired!
    also my dad who had permit book till he was68 and then semi retired was pro choice and so are many other old fool farmers(as u call them). when single desk supporters win by 60% i wud think they are being supported by all age groups.

Comment

Rico, I sure don't see many older pro choice people from where I am from, most pro choice elders mostly say I never got ahead farming, everybody else but the farmers ever make anything from technology, or the CWB gives everyone the same price. All lies instilled from our have not mentality, and do not want to change that. Notice how close all those choice candidates were to winning? Is that satisfactory for you? A lot of people would like to shove the CWB up your ass right about now so you should start wearing some steel shorts.

Comment

In my local area at least for the most part the sons and daughters do what their fathers did. If their fathers sold to the Wheat Pool bought fuel at the co-op, voted NDP, supported the CWB then for the most that's what they do now. The others that sold to Pioneer, Cargill, UGG or independants likely bought fuel where ever cheapest likely disliked the CWB then and still do now. This seems to still be consistent now. I am not sure if this is just in our area or everywhere, but I don't think it can be judged that just the older farmers support the CWB without any real stats to back it up.
        As far as why the CWB elections don't coincide with what currently happens in federal elections the CWB issue is not the main issue facing many farmers, many are looking at the east vs west thing, gun control, Chretien basically laughed in all of our faces and that perception is for the time not forgotten, Layton or who ever leads the NDP has no chance of forming a government so what option is left? Also the many livestock producers that mainly voted conservative many either don't care one way or another about CWB or just aren't eligible to vote.
        The more I think of this issue the more I hate it totally because so many intelligent people including those on this site are spending so much time on one issue when actually there are so many other issues equally important being neglected.
        Who can vote will never fairly be sorted out because there is no clear cut definition of what is fair to everyone. All I know is that it is not fair from my point that some one else should have to right to tell me I have to sell through the CWB when producers in other parts of my country don't have to.
        Why are we abliged to have a vote on this issue at all is it not our individual right to sell our own property how we want to?

Comment

Dem oldster piss me off as much as them city slickers,them city slickers piss me off as much as them women,them women piss me off as much as indians,them indians piss me off as much as fat people,them fat people piss me off as much as those drug addicts and dont even get me started about them chinese.

I'm not a rascist i hate everybody equally.

Comment

calm down ricochet, the average age of farmers is alarmingly old compared to other industries. This is an issue and getting angry will not do anything to address it. Yes there are many older generation farmers who are not old in their thinking. They stay current and deal with todays issues by applying their experiences to todays realities.

But forgive us if some of us are getting a little tired of the fact that there are individuls out there who's sole purpose for keeping a permit book is keeping his pickup full of purple gas or worse yet to vote in cwb elections. We're pissed that we're told that their say is equal to those of us who are trying to grow our farms and have millions at risk.

And please forgive us for not blindly accepting the notion that the focus of our industry and its future success rests with people who are sixty five years of age and older no matter how great and wonderful those people might be.

Forgive us knowing that 15% of farmers grow 85% of the grain and are responsible for 85% of the reinvestment back into our communities.

And forgive us for feeling like our voices and our desires are worth nothing. In fact we are considered a nusiance to the cwb. They take our grain and laugh when we protest, they dismiss us as idiots(just like you have).

We see many injustices in the way the cwb operates but we're told to shut up, quit whinning and just accept it because our (cwb) side got 700 more votes than you did.

You don't see a problem with all of that? Can you not see the damage being done by this trainwreck?

There is a correlation between age and support of the cwb. Of course there are exceptions, some pretty stark ones in fact but there is a correlation none the less, you can deny it all you want but that won't make it go away.

Comment

hopper-- unless u have some special insight into how everyone votes all i am saying is that to blame one age group for wheatboard elections is stupid!! All i know is that our farm has supported choice for a long time,, starting with my now 77 year dad, myself, and now my24 year old son. our farm supports choice because we invest in our crop, we grow it,we harvest it and we would like to market it the best way WE see fit! as i said before schnell and lewis look a heck of alot older than me and from what i read they are both pro choice so maybe next time someone younger shuld run. i do not believe it is only older retired farmers that support choice, in fact many of the older farmers in this area are the most vocal against single desk.
              but then, maybe blamming someone makes u feel better?

Comment

A good tactic for winning marketing freedom is for choiice supporters to not fight amongst ourselves. All of us pick different paths, but we do have marketing choice as a common goal.Let's use it as the strength. Pars

Comment

ricochet, I believe it's less to do with searching for blame, as it is a search for understanding!

I think most people who contribute here can see that these cwb elections just don't jive with what we see and hear everyday in our communities.

Are we missing something?

Agstar and others have told us a hundred times that we are wrong and mistaken, yet will never offer the evidence needed to convince us.

They offer their drive by slurrs, but seldom anything more.

I have never seen any concrete evidence to show me that I'm wrong.

Other than seeing there are more people who vote for cwb supporters than pro choice ones, its crickets and tummbleweeds.

We'd just like to know who's voting and why?

Because I think if that became clear we would then see the folly in putting the future of our industry in the hands of third rate politicians and the votes they seek.

Comment

Rico I read your post wrong sorry.
                    There will still be a need for 15,000 double armoured millitary grade steel shorts by board supporters.

Comment

Sometimes what people say and do are two different things.

Most people shy away from confrontation so they will say something agreeingly.

So if you talk to 10 farmers in a day and seven agree with you that the board has to go maybe 2 or 3 are just saying that to keep the piece.

I seriously doubt farm size or age has much to do with it.

Comment

Right on Cotton.

Comment

Speaking of old fools, who gets 130 grand for 78 days work a year? Appointed till age 75? 18 new malingers to be appointed by Steve>

Comment

Parliament has to fill them It's a duty. I presume u would like to do the appointing. pars

Comment

Oh I take it you have always been in favor of an elected senate AS? Or only if they are liberal?

What about the supreme court?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...