• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cash Canola ?????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

???????
    Thanks for telling me what the term is.

Are we watching the same ball game.

I'll call it "rare" and you can call it "happens all the time".Although funny enough i do expect it to become the norm.And another funny enough i cant pry my own investment favorite without a fifty percent mark up.Talk about backwariZation.And another funny enough i dont find that bearish.

If your reading to much Krugman,i would advice you to stop,hes a hack imho.

"whats going to make it rally"

Have you been away for last 18 months.

The disindgration of the worlds reserve currency as a tangible asset is one.

The debasement of all the currencies of the world is two.

The popping of all major asset bubbles sans bonds is three.

You and mbtraud will do well in the future hanging on to your fractional reserve notes "like" they were gold.

Comment

PLEASE<PLEASE<Please........bet against me.

Comment

Cottonpicken:

We weren’t talking about macro economics. This <b>IS</b> a commodity marketing forum - we were talking about mundane day-to-day grain marketing issues - something in which you appear to be totally disinterested.

Not sure where you get the idea that inverses are rare. We see them just about every year in just about every ag commodity. As well, until just recently the crude oil market was commonly inverted. But it’s been in “contango” (carry) for over 4 months now. And what has that market been doing? Been going down. A lot. The move from backwardation to contango in oil futures was a fundamental clue regarding a switch in the stocks to use balance changing dramatically. Inventories have been building as demand plummeted and the market is looking for storage. “Contango” spreads are how the market pays for storage.

If you didn’t read this signal, you might have made a substantial trading mistake. Such as: (1) staying long and reducing your trading capital unnecessarily, (2) loading up on the long side too early, or (3) missing a great opportunity to go short.

And since markets are all related, the oil market was telling us a lot about the health of the global economy. Astute traders saw reduced demand for just about everything. And reading the spreads in oil contributed to a correct view of the world right now.

I recall a post you put on Agriville a few months ago where you say you had no idea why the markets were going down. So I guess you missed some of these markets signals – you’ve been so bullish you can’t see straight. Longer term, I agree with your view of the world – but in the mean time, there’s been a lot of opportunity from the short side.

Regarding my question “what’s going to make it rally”, you missed the point. Badly. I really don’t care what you think but the fact that you missed the point makes me think others might have as well. So I want to be clear.

We were discussing futures spreads and the messages they provide to those marketing grain. And, since a “contango” structure is not a forecast of higher prices (as some think), you should not hold unpriced grain waiting for higher prices because of it. I didn’t say anything about being bearish - it’s just not a forecast of higher prices. You have to look at other influences for a bullish signal – hence the somewhat rhetorical question “what’s going to make it rally?”

I’ll put a real sharp point on it. I’m not asking the question. I’m saying those making marketing decisions should be asking the question. I sure hope you’d agree with that since this is where your DYODD comes in. From my perspective, due diligence includes reading and understanding what the market is trying to tell you.

Comment

Just to reinforce the point, soybean futures are in an inverse (or whatever the other term is) right now. That tells me the trade is expecting a lot more bean acres in 2009.

Comment

I understood why,i just didnt understand why people would be so stupid and run into bonds.

This futures market signaling thing IS up for debate.You even said "bernake got it wrong".

That alone is evidence enough that the issue is much more complex than you are giving it credit for.

And i do agree 100% on listening and learning about what the market is trying to tell us.

Comment

Bonds? We weren’t talking about bonds.

This “futures market signaling thing” is NOT up for “debate” at all. That’s like saying the effects of supply and demand on price are up for debate.

The best traders I’ve known know this futures market message "thing" as an established fact – a market principle that guides them in all their trading. (Here’s a related concept: basis and spreads are the same thing – same message.)

Bernake’s mistake doesn’t make it complex. It just means he’s human.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...