• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plus ca change, plus ca rest la meme!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus ca change, plus ca rest la meme!

The Conservatives abandoned the process to free Western Canadian farmers from the parliamentary enforced confiscation of our capital, despite a long stated promise to grant freedom to the farmers in the zone.

The Conservatives and particularly Harper himself was a stated proponent of Senate Reform. He then appoints Senators from the media (a practice started under the Liberals as hopeful media are much more benevolent when trophy positions are a distinct possiblity) who are non residents, of Saskatchewan and PEI, a move which is likely unconstitutional, but unlikely to be challenged.

I make this point because it is possible that "plus ca change, plus ca rest la meme!" is indeed the price of power.

And so our challenge is to make the CWB better, only because like an appointed Senator from Ontario for Saskatchewan, or PEI we have no choice.

Plus ca change, plus ca rest la meme, basically means different party, same
    results.

Comment

I suggest our first round of demands should be to change the name of the Canadian Wheat Board to the
      WESTERN WHEAT BOARD OR WESTERN CANADIAN WHEAT BOARD

The commdities sold by the CWB are predominently western, we should brand as uniquely Western.

Comment

I suggest the next step should be that a panel of industry participants with proven management skills (seperate to the directors) should be selected to do a performance review annually on contracts and grain sales, staffn performance, logistics and marketing.

I suggest (unfortunately) that given the political reality and the system of voting and the general lethargy of voters we need to move to
        be proactive on making this governing body work better for us. We can use Australia as an amazing example of how to effectively model reform.

Let us begin, with a thorough annual review process.

Comment

What you do not understand is that only the marketing function of the CWB is indeeed, Western. Regional.

Their licensing function is national.

The most significant function of the Wheat Board is national licensing, the most powerful function of all.

Their Licensing function had the ability to deny licenses for all the wheat headed to Russia during the cold war. They liceense all grain,including Ontario's, and they work in harmony with the other acts to control flour mills, etc.

Licensing is what gives the Wheat board poower. Without it, they are as effective as a snake with diarrhea.

Pars

Comment

The political reality is that Minister Ritz can order the Board to issue interprovincial and export licenses to farmers.

Farmers. Agriculture.

And the Board are forced to comply or be dismissed.

Pars

Comment

looks like the farmers for just me are looking for a different angle to circumvent democracy

Comment

True democracy's don't put their neighbors in jail for selling their own crops.

Comment

Yes, Parsley the reality is the Conservatives know, that like in Ontario they only have to issue export licenses to facilitate change.

The reality is they do not want to.
                  They have learned as many before them have that the CWB is GREAT for Canada, Great for the INDUSTRY and the few farmers who really understand the system if a fair trade off even if they are your own. That is reality too!

The reality is we are the same political pawns we were under the Liberals and this coutnry for decades.

So perhaps we should learn to swing vote, Liberal when they talk nice, Conservative when they talk nice.

We become the Queen that moves all directions not the pawn that moves only one.

The reality is this is not democratic never has been, looks like never will be.

And so what is the best solution for the next decade?

I will add ask for export licenses to the list.
                  It is time for proactive change.

Including having Mr. HIll acknowledge that the reason they are celebrating 10 years of farmer control (such as it is) was due to the revolution and farmers going to jail.

Comment

I'm not so sure if Ritz did understand the significance of issuing licenses. I wouldn't doubt if his advisors, mainly Liberals, would send him in the wrong direction, advising him to sue what he could not win.

I still hold out some hope that the Conservatives will bring about marketing choice via licensing. It is certainly Harpers vision.

Pars.

Comment

I hope you are right Parsley, however I see the same trend as we have before the birth of the Reform Party; power has a price and it is often at he expense of principle. To remain in
                      power this nation extracts, a necessary formula. The budget tomorow is a likely example.

Our formula for power, should not be partisan, unless we see that partisan interest is sufficient. It should be
                      based upon what we need in the west and that is not to be pawns by our own, much worse pawns by a party who has no vested interest in us.

While we know the results of two successive efforts to create new political parites both culminaited in the Conservatives today, we are in danger of loosing yet another handle on what we need for our region, which is THE WEST. We are dwarfed by sheer numbers by central Canada. (Hence the reason for the disgust that we now have a Senator from ONTARIO representing SASKATCHEWAN!)

It is my opinion that swing voting is the only way to to this, however believe me I would much rather be convinced to remain an ardent Conservative.

Export licenses is one way.
                      Senators who vote and live in Saskatchewan is another.

Comment

Wallin is impressive, my dear but she does not live or vote, or breath this province. She deserves all the merit and respect she has, she does not deserve to be a Senator representing this province.

Which is why I believe
                        Plus ca change, plus ca rest la meme.

And since I spoke at the founding convention of the Reform party, and voted on the blue book ideas along with the then ideological Stephen Harper, it is so dissappointing to see the very lack of basic respect for
                        the only founding principle of the current Senators; they are appointed from the province.

I hope to be proven wrong.

Export licenses and a citizen who lives breaths and votes in Saskatchewan for a Senator may help restore the faith.

I will hope.

Comment

PS Stubblejumper, the reason you have even a quasi elected board it the Farmers for Justice, because of their action Goodale knew he had to do something. Something was giving the famrers 2/3 of the directors seats, but maintianing control over the legislation in Ottawa (which is why Ritz had to go to the Parliament), Without the actions of the FFJ the government would still control the board as they did for the previous 1/2 a century.

We all should be so grateful to the FFJ, for the fact we have at the very least some element of farmer directive.

Thank you FFJ!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...