• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes knowing and reading too much is just bad for your health.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes knowing and reading too much is just bad for your health.

Today, with the men out ice fishing (aka ice drinking which they for some strange reason call ice fishing) I decided to catch up on my farm reading.

Regretfully, I happened upon the GRAINMATTERS Dec2008/Jan2000 edition and the article by Larry Hlll Chair of the CWB.

Excuse me while I pull my arm from my throat (sorry could not stop at my finger the sucking mechanism can be quite strong, and I note quite involuntary, it being a rather natural reaction to ingesting vile subsances).

It is good to reflect at the 10th year anniversary of the director elections, which is I agree with Larry a great improvement over the former 55 years of unabated government control. In 1999, the CWB a then government run agency went to a board where 2/3s of the member actually were from the consituency whose capital they had confiscated. And yes after 10 years it is time to reflect, however I do note that Larry Hill quite conveniently (as much of CWB history does) forgot include pertinent details in the message of how we managed to achieve an quasi elected board (vote structure aside of course). Mr. Hill convenienty forgot to mention much less Thank all those farmers & their families the "Farmers for Justice" who went to jail, were intimidated, lost capital, sleep, friends, time and money and were generally made to feel like crazed raducals and in some cases indeed criminals for selling and attempting to sell their own grain, and so I believe it is best to Thank the families who did. Since Larry Hill does not seem to be able to acknowledge the revolution that happened to obtain our quasi freedom.
    While he and obviously me were "passive participants" the real credit for the transformation goes to the "Farmers for Justice" group and so I would like to Thank those of you who achieved what level of control we now have.

It goes on to say, the CWB has "always had the mandate to market our grain, maximize our return and minimize the risks." Hmmm, the CWB monopoly was created by shutting down the dual market. It was formed to hold the price of grain down during the second world war. So the 10 years that my parents sold $1.25 wheat to the world, when the non CWB real world was selling wheat for twice and three times more were obviously not part of this always time. "Always" you see as a time is simply false.

The monopoly you see was put in place as a war measures act to hold the price of wheat down, not to protect the farmers in the thirties from disparaging farmers that was a decade earlier in the 30s.

He goes on to state, "Direction is not something decided by government officials" Hmmm why then does the government of Canada have to approve the removal of the monopoly Larry?

"Farmers ...drive the agedda" he goes on to say, why then when 62% of farmers favour a dual market do we ignore them then?

Well I do agree that the last 10 years we have seen changes unparalled in the former 50, (credit where credit is due), however inviting the auditor general does not have anything to do with every day accountability to farmers. Performance bench marking, well I suggest an annual review beginning with last years dismall return to farmer after a year of the highest prices in history would be a nice place to begin bench marking.

I am however pleased that in his final closing statement, Larry says
    "For me, farmer control continues to be about doing the right thing... for farmers."

The right thing Mr. Hill was in this message was to Thank those who suffered to attain the small element of control we have gained. Then begin to accept the task of a total review in recogntion that accountabilty for marketing pools must be a basis or performance bench marking.
    After all accoutabilty is the basis of control.

However I do note that I do appreciate all elected directors for the job they do on my behalf.

Thank you Larry Hill & the directors for taking on the challenge, I do expect that your interest in this your duely elected job will enable you to perform the task with the due diligence necessary. I believe to do so one must approach the task by acknowledging the truth: which is information based upon actual facts, not by perpetuing myths. Then the use of performance standards employed in business practices used to insure success in all busines models; employee review, logistics, going through contracts to be sure the best
    strategy of sales and execution was
    performed is a great way to begin.
    We all look forward to the future with a proactive baord.

In the end I must Thank you "Farmers for justice" for the elected board we have today.

All the best in 2009.

(Figure, Dave made the best choice it was likely way more productive day spent in the ice tent!)

I am interviewing the FFJ and writing their stories in segments in:

http://parsleysnotebook.blogspot.com

The stories are so very interesting to hear firsthand. And unbelievable.

Pars.

Comment

Thanks Parsley, the story needs to be told, not lost in the myths of the CWB.
      We all owe a debt of gratitude to these folk.

I should have titled this;
      Thank you FFJ.

Charlie can you change the title?

Comment

Not in my power. Farms.com can likely do (can edit internally in threads).

Comment

NP Charlie Thanks.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...