• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB; Our saviour

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, she not he.

Comment

Checking; If you think I was bashing and my son put words in her mouth,that is your opinion. Glad I brought up the topic to see what other people thought. Some interesting and good replies.

Comment

"Remember, we have all been educated by teachers, and their isn't one of us that would admit that we haven't turned out just fine with our opinions."

I would argue that this is despite what the public system tried to ram down our gullets not because of it.

Comment

I believe that individuals are important, so Fransisco tell us more about how your formal school days harmed you. (lol)

Comment

On the contrary, maybe, I did not claim you were bashing your son's teacher. I said that I would not go that route based on the limited information provided. You have a remarkable son to have him tell you anything classroom related happened at school. What's the more typical response you receive when you ask him what he learned at school today?

Comment

I have been blessed to have a son with a good head on his shoulders. He is 15 years old and to talk to him is like talking to a young adult. We talk about anything and everything. He lost his mother a year ago so that might make us a little more closer. Alot of kids his age are doeing drugs, haveing sex,smoking and drinking. So he can learn a lot of worse stuff than a teacher teaching one sided views.

Comment

I have a rather low opinion of most teachers in the public system. Most are simply overpaid babysitters.

In my personal life I have met a few who do not fit this description, the ones I dealt with in the classroom more or less did.

How did they harm me? By not doing their job they wasted my time and in a number of instances sent me in the wrong direction. In University I had 3 prof's who couldn't speak English, they might as well have been correspondence courses because we had to teach the subjects to ourselves. But we still had to pay full price for the courses and go to the useless lectures to get the credit.

I see the same kind of BS with the teachers my kids have today. One of the teachers my daughter has is too lazy to correct her work so he gets other kids in the classroom who haven't a clue what the right answers are to do it for him. It's the friggin blind leading the blind and he gets 70K a year to do it.

Another one has the Al Gore religion and has no interest in debating facts or using it as an exercise in critical thinking. The lesson being taught is parrot the person in charge or you will get punished. Great lesson.

So excuse me for not buying into the teachers are great just because they're teachers nonsense.

Comment

In my life I to have run into egotistical know it all's who seem to know more than everyone else including teachers, university professors ect. In most cases the majority of people just roll their eyes and ignore these people until they quit talking.

Comment

Another example of how they can hurt kids. My late wife had a hair dressing shop. Some of the kids that came out of school she had to teach them stuff they should have known. A few she told them to take the couse again in the city. Can you imagine takeing a course for 3 years in high school then being told to goe back because the teacher did not care. Checking; If you have kids that have you shut out, better ask yourself why?

Comment

Stubble, those are the ones running the wheat board!LOL

Comment

I was thinking more of you Fran

Comment

Yes, those of us who stubbornly believe that the grass is green, the sky is blue, that 2 2=4 and the wheat board is a mill stone around our neck can be quite annoying. And we'll continue to be so until we get our grain back.

Cheers!

Comment

I'll grant you this one Fransisco. Do not ever expect to purchase anything in a store during a power outage!!! But otherwise by whiskers, I'm surprised that there isn't, as a minimum alternative, a bunch of you home schooling your charges. How can you look your child in the face before shuffling them off to public school with the knowledge that this experience at worst is harming them, and at best is but a baby sitting service? I'm going to keep my stick on the ice on this topic, but there is a reason why in my grandfather's day, my father's day, and my own why teachers were respected in our times. They were a path to child's better future, and those past societies recognized that by rewarding those who persevered to obtain the higher degree. Employers, and company employers valued it because they knew they weren't hiring a bunch of quitters. Did you, Fransisco, finish what you started at University? I didn't say this to be nasty, as I didn't expect a reply as to how teachers had harmed you.

Comment

To maybe: I thought the typical response to the question would be "nothing", or at best, a shoulder shrug. It's the reaction I've gotten out of a neice whom I need to remind to change her University major judging by the posted responses.

Comment

Yes, I graduated University.

And no I don't home school my kids. I can't afford to take the time off. Having said that there are nights where my wife and I have thought we may as well be with the amount of time we spend keeping our kids up to speed with what they should be learning in school.

My view of public education is not that different than that of the wheat board we have to make the best of a lousy situation and work with what we got. That doesn't mean we have to like it or look at it through rose coloured glasses.

I'd love to see us move to a voucher system where schools would have to compete for and actually earn their keep.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...