• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeding Progress?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeding Progress?

We were ready on Monday to go then a fire on one quarter and we didn't start it. Time we got their and put it out the day was done. Then woke up Tuesday to 6 plus inches of wet wet snow. Today its cold and spotty rain so far. But 60% chance all day and cold.
    Now I am almost certain we wont get started till Monday the 4Th.
    And that's looking maybe with the lovely weather forecast.
    But when I went back and checked our records saw 1 year in ten we were done all peas by may 1st. One year we were done all durum and starting canola by 1st week of may. So to soon to panic but long way to go till done.

My seed date? Still have snow on the sides of my hills were i'm goeing to seed wheat. The land that I can get on earlier is to cold for canola and soybeans. My dad never started untill may long weekend and never went broke. So not panicking yet. Pissed for thier calling for winter to return today and tommorro when i'm supposed to start hauling wheat.

Comment

While it's true that we're not getting the start we'd all like here, just have a look at the weather forecast for the midwest the rest of this week! Starting this past Monday, all through to Saturday it's wet wet wet! Their planting numbers were down last Monday, and I don't think they'll be getting much seed in the ground for a large area in the corn an' bean belt. Two ie; Illinois, 4% corn planted, 5yr avg 43%, Indiana, 2% corn planted, 5yr avg 25%

http://www.usda.gov/nass/PUBS/TODAYRPT/prog1809.txt

Comment

Any ideas as to where the fire originated - like a power pole?

Comment

some one stopped on side of road for bathroom and dropped a cigarette on last falls cut grass. Smoldered for while then took off burnt 1/4 of a quarter

Comment

Was wondering if this "spring weather" was changing anyones seeding intentions? Also, how close was StatsCan report to your intentions?
            Mine- Similar as last year, was thinking a few more HRSW acres from Bly. but sounds like lots thinking the same. Weather and gut feeling will tell in the end.

Comment

If it had been a utility caused fire, like a hot fuse blowing off a pole, which started a fire in your field that burned it off, and your neighbour's field and yard site, you, the farmer, are at fault. You should have had insurance to cover that according to risk management at SaskPower. Even if the fuse had dropped in the Queen's ditch where poles are placed 18 inches inside that right-of-way, and the fire spreads into your field, you are still responsible. If your fire protection service has to call in additional help from a department it doesn't have a mutual aid agreement with, you, the farmer, will be billed for all costs of the additional help. Refuse to pay, and it will be applied to your RM taxes. It makes a person think that perhaps we should not be so willing to sign utility agreements that benefit the province, but do nothing but place liability on the property owner. If they need a chunk of your land, perhaps expropriation should be forced. At least you might be able to argue before a judge that you don't want the extra liability.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...