• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or are all the companies scared were not going to seed Canola.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me or are all the companies scared were not going to seed Canola.

Is it just me or are others seeing the different company press releases and flyer's trying to push farmers into seeding record canola acres. Every second day our Pioneer and Cargill rep are phoning the farm. Viterra just came out with a program if you take your seed they wont bill you till end of June or July.
    Today's comments on different radio farm shows from experts that their is still time to seed canola. Please please fertilize your Canola crop for maximum yield etc etc etc.
    Maybe just maybe these guys realize that last years record production only hurt one guy the farmers and not the parasites. Now they spent lots of money building crush plants, so called improved genetics, etc, with less acres and lower yield will their bottom line take it on the chin.
    Hm Hm or do like honey bee only build so many headers a year and you have a market with decent prices every year. Over produce like GMC and you go broke.
    May be we farmers are finally getting how this game works.

Last years canola production will not be surpased for a few years at least. $14 canola and near perfect crop were the only reasons for last years huge crop. Too late now for more acres this year, and I agree s/f yeilds should be lower unless we get the perfect summer weather again. Nice to see a good rally again though after a nerve racking begining of the week. Open market crops keep climbing and pro's keep dropping may swing a few acres in the last minute but very few, it is just too late and rotations were pushed hard last year.

Comment

Wheat and peas flax and lentils will be up Oats Canola and Durum down in acreage.
      Last year was a perfect storm for yield (yes I thought it would be lower due to drought in N Alberta and Southern Sask). But the rest had a bumper.

Comment

SF3 and furrow, have you seen the numbers from AgCanada today? They've shaved 1.530 million tonne production from their Mar numbers! Their ending number for 09-10 is now only 0.600 t, vs. 2.300 for the Mar statement and 2.600 for 08-09!!!!!!
        Here are all the numbers and other crops! They really want us to plant more canola, but should we????

http://news.tradingcharts.com/futures/2/8/124001082.html

Comment

Wow 2 million more tons of Wheat production including Durum for 09 10
          1.5 million tons less of Canola production for 09 10.

Looks like its going into wheat acres, now is this believable?

Comment

I have seen the numbers and all is well for canola despite the naysayers. My feelings are 15.5 mill acres on canola with yeilds down from last year and $10/bus avail throughout 09-10.JMO

Comment

It's just you and a few others Statscan are wrong and I would bet a steak supper on it!

Comment

If we are growing canola for the new crush plants total yields will also drop. As nexera yields less. More demand locally with less yield is a brighter side.

Comment

Mustard I think your wrong on this one. Why is their tons I mean tons of Canola seed sitting in Warehouses around western Canada. Why? It will be either just under 15 or just a smidgen over. And yield wont be close to last year.

Comment

S/F, too much canola seed was produced last year b/c the industry was projecting record canola acres for this spring even a year ago - they were dead wrong. I doubt it will happen again. Winter production was ramped up big time after the big hail storm in southern Alberta but they pulled off an above average crop anyway - double the winter production and viola. There is not 'tons' of seed in our area that I know. Alot of varieties are not avail.
                    I would not complain about it though, if your growing canola just smile and put 'er in and hope for a good crop it will be worth alot more than any board grain.

Comment

Furrow your in what Area? In East Sask All big hitters Pioneer, Viterra, Cargill have sheds full.
                      Yes I believe Canola will Shine on our farm in 2009. Maybe not like the 07 Crop sold in Feb of 08 but it will shine. Without the CWB we would be way ahead on Wheat. Also if we could be paid up front (like Canola Oats Peas Flax Lentils Soy Beans Corn) For our Wheat prices would have to get better at certain times of the year for other crops also. Competition.
                      But sadly for some reason Wheat and Durum is not same as EVER OTHER STINKING CROP.

Comment

Pioneer = Richardson? I think in some areas the "big hitters" pissed alot of farmers off big time over the last 9 months and this may be farmers just saying f/u? There are other great canola seed options out there and this may well have happened in your area. A few seed suppliers are not awash with seed thats all.

Comment

Phone today Pioneer in your area and tell them to get you seed for 10,000 acres of canola and youll pay cash. I bet its in your shed by tonight.
                          Thats all I am saying.

Comment

Their is no shortage of Canola. Now lentil seed thats a different story.

Comment

do you need red lentil seed?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...