• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow for Alberta?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola with his Air drill, We might have a deere demo Disc drill by Monday and will rent for wed on. The damage is really bad in very heavy stubble. Even if it had been harrowed. Pea stubble is better. Peas started to look funny yesterday, but flax and barley are also sick. Durum just sitting at one stage and HRS looks great.

Comment

Clouded over this morning , minimal frost . Canola looks good , first true leaf but is way behind. Hopefully the frost era is over this year till fall.

Comment

Ag star where are you at.

Comment

Near Winterpeg.

Comment

saskfarmer - you will love the deere disc drill. It will really shine on reseeding with the minimum disturbance. Been running one for 10 years - nothing better.

Comment

However, the disk drill will not blacken the seed row and in my area you would need to reseed every second year. The burned stubble fields or conventional tilled are the most advanced and least frost damaged. It's a shame that hurting the soil, long term, is the best chance for a crop in the 2009 ice age.

Comment

Tried a deere no till in 1997 when reseeded some 1200 acres of canola because of something that was wrong with our drill. Worked excellent funny that year we reseeded on July 1 to 5 and the crop was excellent, didn't have fall frost to well into October though. One big rain and heat would help me make up my mind. That would be to not reseed. Yes the burnt ground or Pea stubble looks way better. But burnt lots one year and it never rained till first week of July. So some years yes it works some times no.

Comment

sf3
                  Sorry for not replying busy the last couple days and waiting to see what happens, so at this point .5 inch of rain which means it's not wet it's just not as dry as it was but it going to last only a few days if we don't see more. The canola on the low ground with a fair amount of trash has been froze at lease four times and each time we lose a little more, tonight well may be the end for some of it it's 3 c right now...... snow was west and south Med Hat over night from what I head and read this morning hard on the specialty crops in the irrigation areas around Bow Island so I see on other sites.
                  We've had better starts to our crops. Going to watch the end of the hockey game and fret.

Comment

Reseeding= waste of time.
                    For me to have to reseed there would literally have to be 2-5 plants/m2, last year went through this 12plants/m2, had a half section mile long cut it in half reseeded June 3 @ 7 lbs/acre to increase crop stand to bring on maturity. Left back 1/4 as is(no one could see it if was disaster) Reseeded stuff did 33bpa, beautiful looking crop, froze stuff did 45bpa, and when we sprayed it, it had wholes in the canopy size of 1/2 ton truck!!

Went through similar experience in 02 reseeded went 25, and patchy germ stuff went 35.

My new thought process is not to resseed bought keep what you have very clean!!

Every field is different, if you have a froze out field, and heavy weed pressure....can't spray 3-5 days after frost, and now cloudy cool weather delaying spraying 3-4 days. Judgement call. Last year wasn't suppose to sray, was told would kill the 1/4 hit by frost. Went 1/2 shot Liberty, didn't hurt canola as bad, and held down weed pressure for a week until could hit with full shot.

My 2 cents.

Comment

snapper ill agree with you on this one. We will do the one behind house with Deere disc drill and leave the rest. keeping it clean is the answer for optimum yield. Canola is amazing plant but the 60 plus I think is not going to materialize this year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...