• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need rain in next 20 minutes or......

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need rain in next 20 minutes or......

thousands of acres both sides of South Sask river Will Not be harvested.
    Patchy germination and even some fields that have been seeded with disc openers have been Blowing !!
    Peas are either 6 node or more and 2 inches tall or sitting in dry dirt not germinated or started to germinate and then died.
    Don't price Your lentils we'll see 40 -50 cents again this fall as this is huge lentil area that looks very bad.

My 86 year old father says this makes the 30's look like "those wet years"

Did you get the rain then ?

Comment

We have had 5mm of rain here since last fall. It is raining 30 miles sw of us but it does not look like it will make it here.
      It is a BIG area that is very dry and lots of canary seed that is not comming up as well as lentils and peas.
      I was looking at the historic weather data for our area and this year is the driest so far since they started recording in 1922.

Comment

No silverback the 30's apparently weren't all that wet.
        But they did consistently get winters with snow and farming methods today we can create a bit of a crop from low moisture back then they needed alot of moisture with the methods that they had available at the time.

Comment

This is a vary bad situation for almost all of western Canada - period. I hope those A$$holes from POT,Cargil,Vitera and Agrium feel good about themselves now, proud of the fact the absolutly bent farmers over at a very bad time. This drought and frost damage is going to be irriversable very shortly, and again the farmer will be left taking it on the chin. I know several guys in this area who paid well over .80/lb N and were conviced to sell canola well below $9/bus b/c it was going to $7. I know things can turn around but a repeat of last year is what is needed but for that to happen we all need a miracle.

Comment

Just back from weyburn to west moose jaw,wow.
            The crops are in pain.

I'm not good farmer or agroligist,but one thing is making me wonder.

Our sub-soil mosture isnt counting worth sh*t

The coldness is retarding the plants so bad their root system isnt developing.

Somebody tell me i'm wrong.

Comment

we are still in the game here but for how long. if we had had any heat we would be done already.
              rye feilds look thinner every day.
              seed canola going out south west of battleford.( not a good sign) and for the most part spraying is on hold.
              no snow or little rain since last july . need a couple tenths to hold us till we get a decent one.
              got to look on the bright side , bins should be on sale soon

Comment

Mustardman are you getting any rain?
                We got about 4/10 inch since last night.
                Jag

Comment

Yes we've got 4/10 's and still coming down .. nice to see that it can actually rain

Comment

Cotton the cereals are actually rooting pretty good in this area, however our only subsoil is from the snow in the winter as the fall was so dry so theres not a lot down there to root to. The growing areas need a general 2-4 inch rain event this one looks like .5 to 1.5 inch variance dependant on where it hit in the southern what maybe 30 35 pecent from the border up? Next 2-3 weeks will tell the tale on the 2009 crop.

Comment

zero rin in north west sask, and the forecast looks drier every hour. We were supposed to get a day and a half of rain/showers now, virtualy nothing.

Comment

That would be rain, not rin???

Comment

Satellite showing regina area getting soaked now.
                          Were getting a drizzle not sgnificant amount but not complaining.
                          Forecast for southeast sask is for a good rain over two days.
                          I'll believe it when i see it.

Does it seem like this site is the only place talking about the seriousness of the situation?

Comment

I would agree. We are in sure crop country(Kinistino area), and it is starting to get dry. Still moisture 2" below service, but not rain since runoff, supposed to get rain next 3 days as of last night, 15-20mm. Now this morning 60% showers next 3 days. Crop looks OK, but Damn could use a soaker.

Comment

On the radar precip is moving east to west? How much fell in Regina area? Looks like the build up in Montana will end up in Manitoba again! Same old pattern all spring. Check the swirl over Hudson Bay. That dry ice cold air has to move. 3/10" in Rose Valley over nite, forecast still has 60% till Tuesday.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...