• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chemical shakes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chemical shakes

3/4 through spraying and that sicky,shaky feeling is setting in.

Anybody else?

At least i'm giving the ungrateful city folk the cheapest food of all time.

That should not be happening to as young a farmer as described by Farm Progress booth personnel. Listen to your wife, and get yourself checked out. I'm serious.

Comment

what kind of sprayer do you use? Do you use a chem handler?

Comment

A jd 4710,im not that young,ive been spraying for twenty years.

I'm probably only exposing myself to a fraction of what i use to because of equipment advances,but it gets to me.

Lots of my neighbours have talked about similar things,so i know its not uncommon.

It makes me wonder about the huge opperations where one guy is responsible for all the spraying.Or the custom guys.

We really are abusing our bodies with grain dust,fertilizers,seed treatments,granular chemicals(puked quite a bit while hand bombing 25kg bags of edge cause the mini bulks where sold out),fuel fumes,pestides,fungisides,herbicides,exahaust fumes,fancy new age aerosol lubricants-its never ending,and increasing.

Comment

I just started work for a farm supply outlet, and was wondering how many farmers would attend a chemical safety course if it were offered in the winter/early spring? I just finished taking the Dispensers License Course (with Exam) and sure learn alot about things I forgot to do on the farm. Most of it in regards to chemical safety.

Just a thought

Comment

Have you been doing any insecticides?

Also one of the worst things you can do is take a whiz after filling up with only your bare hands. The privates are one of the highest chemical absorbing areas make sure you've washed your hands before and after lettin' it fly.

Comment

Had chemical poisoning once about 20 years ago when I was young and foolish. Now I'm just foolish but we spray 40-50000 acres per year including custom work and use a full face respirator for harsh chemicals and inseticides. Never feel sick or dizzy just keep a new cab filter on hand and with two of us those 20 hour days aren't too bad.

Better go to the doctor and get checked out. We always go and have a blood test before spraying starts for a check and then again midway through and close to the end and we don't seem to be absorbing any chemical.

Comment

Learn something new every year. I now keep my box of gloves in the sprayer cab. So in that way I don't get out of the cab without putting a new pair on. Also bought one of them Chemical suits from Splasher Outerwear(Super Strong Impossible to damage the thing) at the farm progress show last year. Since I started using it my cloths do not smell of chemical anymore when I come home to the house.

Comment

I sure wish the chemical companies would start putting gloves in the boxes again. Or that the places that were selling the chemicals would be a little less stingy with them.

Comment

Well, at least farmers are getting smart enough to stop trying to prove chemicals aren't dangerous anymore, by not washing in them.

Baby steps, I guess.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12661182?ordinalpos=9&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez. Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPan el.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3351643?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.P ubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPane l.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2262830?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.P ubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pu bmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&l ogdbfrom=pubmed

Comment

cott, get a Parkinson's Test

Comment

If i had to guess whats going on i'd say my body is just sending me warning signals.

Back to the sprayer.

Comment

Puma and Axial mess me up the most, even with full gear. I also wear rubber boots when mixing that never go in the cab. If you're a smoker I would switch that out for chewin tabaco for spray season too, way less hand to mouth activity. When I use to custom spray I also found that sitting in a sprayer for 18 hrs a day led to dehydration resulting in shakes and increased fatigue. Having a couple of bottles of Gatorade/day seemed to do the trick.

Comment

I think I'm way behind the times. I don't even wear rubber gloves, just use my work gloves.

I never thought herbicides were all that bad???

When we spray insecticides, we have one guy on the ground in full suit, and gloves mask the whole spiel, I don't even open the sprayer door just stay in don't want the smell in cab.

But herbicides I've never been to concerned about. Will agree some days Wife makes me undress on the portch cause I stink so bad.

Maybe time to start taking more precautionary measures after reading this.

P.S. Grains are screwed short term.

Comment

Actually them gloves they used to give you in not sure think it was fusion, usually had to take them off to do any fine work and still have a closet full of them. Go to Princess Auto and get them vinal ones with powder inside(Power Fist Brand). So nice to put on and off and at 100 in a box they are so cheap and you can work with the finest of parts, toss them when going back into the cab.
                              Snappy how long does it take to fill your sprayer?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...