• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutworms in Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutworms in Canola

How bad are they? Hearing of spraying near Porcupine Plain and Humboldt. Canola fields are very poor south of Naicam, possibly cutworms? We have patches, will try spray them tomorrow.

Did have them once a few years ago near StGregor. Pretty sure the patches I see now are not from Cutworms. But I should not speak so soon, have some canola that I can just now see rows. Most canola looks pretty good here really. How do you tell if they are a problem before they are a problem?

Comment

now that I know what to look for I think we have a fair amount of damage. I probably should have sprayed. I just always attributed the bare patches to frost, dry etc, never had a cutworm problem though. Apparently there are few guys in the area spraying(Annaheim, Naicam area ). I'm gonna go look in the morning, probably too late though.

Comment

They can do alot of damage fast. A dead give away for any bug problem is birds. If there are flocks of birds like black birds or seagulls in your fields there are most likely worms of some sorts out there. Sings of cut worms are, ususaly rows of wilted plants that appear to be pulled into the ground and when pulled they come out easy and are cut off at or just below the surface. Diggin down about 6" with a shovel will usualy reveal them too. They need to be sprayed organicaly (by that I mena at night)to get them.

Comment

Had to spray a few nights ago, Checked on a thurs, found some and by the following tues - after the rain - they took out 30-35 ac. never seen that many in one feild before. "Patches and strips are showing up more and more in certain feilds. No ryme or reason. Alot of guys still think it is frost damage - their wrong.

Comment

Sprayed a 1/4 the other night, and the
            perimeters on all the canola. There was a
            fair amount of damage on one field. Damn
            its always one thing or another.

Comment

What chemical works best? How do you check when entry is not recommended for days? I tried Pounce on 40 acres of patches. Have not checked. They are found just under surface, not deep at all. Moths laid eggs last August in cereal crops only? No damage in wheat inches away from black patch in canola! Seems to be in certain soil, loose high organic matter patches in our field.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...