• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Rain really Help?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the Rain really Help?

A week after the 1/2 inch then 1 1/2 down pour I would say really no change in crop. Peas and Canola still ugly (I don't think its cut worms? Frost yea!) Wheat disease pressure. Lots of water in low areas dry on hills. Up to Edmonton next week. Hyway 16 up then to Calgary to Regina then home to lake at Canora Kamasack.The trip should see what's out their.

I must be wrong since sask ag and food says were doing excellent.Every one got a great rain and the crops excellent. Oh well I am relieved were all doing great.

Comment

there are a lot of wheat fields in the SE with serious leaf disease problems!!! not all, but some are so bad that they look orange from the road! not a lot of rain here, but many light showers and sprinkles.

Comment

If anyone in Saskatchewan is complaining about the rain, you can share the moisture with Alberta next time. Lots of promise but no action on rain here to date (at least Edmonton area).

Comment

Spraying durum today and its their.wheat field that was hrs last really bad, we knew that when we seeded. Oh well maybe no midge.

Comment

I must be misrembering the last time I looked out the window. But if the government says it's excellent, it must be.

Comment

ill be up that way next week hope you guys get some. My post should have read will it help this crop. Every day in saskatchewan is a great day.

Comment

A real variety of crop conditions between Rose Valley and Naicam. Some great, canola cabbaged and ready to bolt, but most patchy thin and way late. As I said earlier, any black fields, fallow or burned are closer to normal. Lots of stubble equals late slow growing. I'd bet on a lot more fires if next spring is as cold. G****vine says grasshoppers in the Peace River already and dry again!

Comment

Unity grasshoppers hatching here,in light land.
                  just need 3 inches at the yard here in the next 4 days to bring me up to average may june precip.

canola has recoverd to almost passable.
                  (whats passable this year would be a wreck any other year )
                  how many hoppers sq. ft. to eat 1-2 canola sq. ft.
                  barley is still stunted from frost.
                  this is more like the sask. we know and love .

Comment

Spraying done ,now we are receiving steady rain . Upwards of 50 mm by tomorrow. Crop conditions excellent , canola bolting next week. Cereals tillering.

Comment

Hey agstar haven't heard from you for a while how is life in the canola dome? Hello hello hello. Damb the lights must be out.just like a mushroom!

Comment

Busy inhaling chemical fumes.

Comment

Sask,

would have been happy with 1/4 of what you got... in one shot.
                          1/10th at a time is dismal... but it did finally get some volunteer canola growing last week.

OH well... 3/10ths instead of 3 inches... is better than nothing!

Be thankful for small blessings year is here!

God Bless Canada... we need it out here!

Comment

It s weird year for sure...
                            I have watered and babied my garden all spring with dugout water. YOu would have thought this would suffice and return normal growth. Not so, it is late, and stunted. It is not just about rain, as much damage was done by the cold (at least it was a dry cold ).

The lentils are very short for cutting we can only hope they get some legs in July or a large % of the harvest will be under the cutter bars.

Like last year July will tell the story however if forecasters are right
                            it may not be a repeat of last year.

Comment

Drove about 3000 k the last week. Winnipeg to vermilion. North of winnipeg, the interlake region, is just seeded and the crops look like May 20, the ones that were seeded. South of peg towards carmen, miami etc, they were so wet last fall, had rain on snow and every day rain, the crops were seeded very late and if everything is perfect interms of fall frost they will get corn and beans etc. Nice land, nice crops. Out to minnedosa and nippewa the crops look great seeing the guys spray with the usual massive mud flings off the wheels.

From there to saskatoon it is variable but oh so late with far more of the crops looking poorer then better. Then its wierd on east side of toon they look horrible but then from toon to battleford they look pretty good. Battleford east to lloyd again some crops look good but seem to get worse. That area did get some rain earlier on. East to vermilion and on to edmonton it is ridiculous. Very rare to see a canola stand without at least half the field with nothing. Patchy rain amounts with some areas getting inch and and half and north of 16 and west a couple of 3/10 that hit the dust and evaporated. Can't really tell it rained.

Down to Tom4CDub and red deer no rain realy.

Some nice crops and areas for sure, but late. Early frosts and we are all toast regardless. Nice fall and guys will be lucky.

Here in east central AB for sure, rain won't help now no matter really what we get.

Charlie. Heard you yesterday on radio and you seem the only voice of reason to real conditions out there. In winnipeg city, it has been IDEAL growing conditions so that has a lot of influence where the media and ag never step out. With all that rain and heat, stuff grows and is beautiful.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...