• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Rain really Help?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh ya, leaf disease. Those cereal crops that looked like they were going to be nice on the way to peg, looked orange on the way back. Don't know how many guys in sask are used to spraying fungicides, but it may be a good year to at least try some. The spray tracks from the road look like it will cut about 1/3 the potential yield.

Comment

Would love to share the moisture. al9 should be driving through the area east of the red river in MB today. Got close to an inch of rain last weekend. Woke up to a little better than three this morning - Saturday. Still raining. So the water is pretty bad on the late seeded crops. The further south you get. The less land you see above the water. The high moisture levels from last fall are not helping either. The past week gave us some hope. We had moisture, the heat finally came and the crops where really moving forward. So a slap in the face again. I know we all have our own situations to deal with. From past experiences you always have part of a crop with to much moisture. Yet we all know we do not survive with part of a crop anymore.

Comment

Dam wheat is on steroids here. That is about it. everything is later but the wheat is going growing nuts.

Comment

Well if we didn't have the CWB! The great HRS and Barley and Durum crop that's out their could make some real money and then we would not have to give away the canola and pea crop to pay the bills.

Comment

I can't forecast the future but I do know that things have to occur
            just about perfect from here on in to get a crop period in much of
            Alberta. Was in the N.E. corner of Alberta on my motorbike and as
            you say everything is late, late, late. Combine that with minimal
            rain/damage that has occurred already and there is the making of
            reality.

From the cow calf meetings and other things.

July will be the determining month but I suspect we all will have to
            go over the education from 2002. There was a lot of creativity in
            2002 that lessened the pain of a pretty dire situation. Examples
            will be around the decision to harvest crop versus use as
            pasture/green feed.

Also need to look hard at existing new crop price contracts. Lower
            US futures prices may open up the alternative of buying some out
            of the money calls just in case the market takes off this summer
            and you are in a situation of having to buy out contracts because
            of no crop. You are covered to some extent in Alberta through the
            variable price benefit (calculation in October) and if you took the
            variable price option in Saskatchewan (calculation in July).

Comment

On the last comment, would be watching this Tuesday USDA acreage report
              carefully - particularly on corn. Feed grains in general (including barley) have
              potential to be interesting. As a grain guy, potentially short term good price wise
              but will have implications medium and long term as North American livestock
              numbers adjust to a new reality.

Comment

Finished spraying canola yesterday( second time on rr canola) and this canola is no further ahead than the last seeded liberty canola. As Charlie said, unless we get perfect conditions from now on, we are in for a huge wreck. The frost and cold weather had put this crop behind at least 2 to 3 weeks. Will have to reconsider my decision about using Proline this year.

Comment

Don't worry, if crop doesn't work out, Gagstability, Gaginvest, and GagtheWest programs will kick in. The Ritz cracker will ride to the rescue help farmers, probably wit more loans though. But thats good tooo,cause grain prices have been soo good recently, who cares about pricey inputs, easy to pay when yields are so high. If in doubt invest in the stock market, great deals there tooo, I'm told!

Comment

Burbot, great to hear the news from "behind the home". Good to see your still kickin' and full or p and v!

Comment

Some people can take the shine off a freshly minted penny just by looking at it! A perhaps beneficial side of where the markets are, or where the recession is, is that the divorce rate is way down. People arn't splitting up since they realize that they will leave with a share of little to nothing. Is it possible that these government "gag" programs have actually been designed to help farmers like Burbert? (lol)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...