• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the Awesome Canola Crops?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the Awesome Canola Crops?

Well the perfect field I saw at Edgeley doesn't look as good now. Since after a week with little moisture and windy its now OK. But after the traveling I did the last week and now up to lake today to Canora Kamsack area. All look the same patchy thin fields. So where in Sask Alberta, Manitoba is the ultimate canola crop.

We saw some unbelievable Canola South-East of Regina ( approx. 5 miles). maybe too thick if no more moisture.

Comment

We saw some unbelievable Canola South-East of Regina ( approx. 5 miles). maybe too thick if weather becomes hot and dry.

Comment

Our canola looks pretty good overall, some early frozen stuff has come back quite good. However we are quite dry and without rain the crop will be below average. BIGGEST worry is fall frost our latest canola is bolting or just starting to flower some reseeded and late seeded stuff around here is just starting to cover the ground.

Comment

So 60 days after you see the first flower, crop s/b ready to swath given NORMAL growing conditions.

That puts it at September 06.

I've seen some canola crops that are 10-14 days away from first flower - so Sep 20 max - and what about canola that just germinated after the June 23-26 rains?

Comment

So then our crops should be ready to combine 1st of october. Ha intime for the tourental fall rainfall. So one in all of the three provinces. Again SE of regina will drive by that area next week on way out to farm. Got to see.
            Yes the market allways knows whats best. HA HA HA HA HA HA AH AH AH>

Comment

I will post the link when it happens but thought I could post the crop condition rating of the most recent Alberta crop report. Most crops are rated fair and poor with 83 percent of the crop. Breaking out the poor side, 52 percent of the canola cropa and 37 to 38 percent of cereals are rated in poor condition. About 17 to 18 percent of the crop is rated good.

Comment

Some canola around weyburn as good as i have ever seen-minus the calendar factor.

Lots average.

Comment

On average our first fall frost is in the first week of Sept.

Comment

Question. CP and others that are saying you are late. Do you have no flowers on your Canola yet?? How late we talking??

Comment

Out of all the canola around me, I have a half section of some of the nicest (and latest) canola around, along with the dubious distinction of having another half that is looking like the worst canola I have personally ever produced.

The great crop is on summerfallow, the poor is on newly purchased land that was so covered in dandelions it was dry, and powdery at seeding time, especially on the higher areas. Emergence was excellent, but it ran out of water. I top dressed all my canola the last two days with n and s, and with this rain, it should perk up hopefully to an average or so crop.

In terms of the area overall, I must say it is one of the worst canola crops i have seen since 1992. We are in a canola'y growing region, near Kelvington, but this year maybe half is good, and half is poor, due to cool temps and dry conditions. It is strange, cuz one crop will be quite phenomenal, next to a crappy looking crop. All depends on previous crop, trash cover, etc.

I must add that this rain will help, as all canola in the region is bolting to pre-bolting, so the crop still has a great potential for recovery, especially for those who topdressed. LOL . We need a super long fall to make the bins full though, and this is of grave concern.

Comment

We have most quarters with some flowering and some
                        bolting... very uneven.

I did see some nice crops.. all crops... starting west of
                        Weyburn today, near McTaggart.... Douglas farm.

The best hay crop i've seen this year is on the East side
                        of McTaggart as well..... Bill

Comment

we have been trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with our canola.frost, flea beetles, cutworms,drought,it has left fields with unevan matueraty. cenderela is going to test crop insuance big time in the north eastsk.some crops look fine but are quite late.

Comment

Travelled from North battleford to Wetaskawin to Calgary all cropps on the poor/late side. On the way home through to Drumheler 50% poor50% average but late. From there to Kindersley the majority will not be combined even with the recent rains(late feed maybe?). Up to Kerobert poor but salvageable. After Kerobert hit very heay rain, so hard to tell but Unity area looks O.K. along with Cutknife. Over that entire distance I seen maybe 5 Canola crops that were average but still late. This is a huge area that has been devestated by the June drought.

Comment

Mixed bag in dauphin area. My crops are looking good but got my fingers crossed we do not get a early frost. One field of canola just started to flower.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...