• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

millions of bushels gone

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

millions of bushels gone

This storm went right through the heart of one of the usually big volume areas of Alberta . And it was the second night in that area for bad ones. Wont tell you who or how much but we wont be marketing much grain ourselves this year, worst storm since 86 on our farm.

CARSTAIRS, Alta. — The malt barley crop at the Reid family farm barely reaches above the ankle, a dramatic change from the lush, waist-high growth this same field boasted just days earlier.

“There’s nothing to harvest,” said Bob Reid of the devastation wrought on parts of the farm Sunday night by a fierce storm that unleashed g****- to walnut-sized hail in the Carstairs area, and went on to pummel crops across central and southern Alberta.

Carstairs is about 60 kilometres north of Calgary.

The storm carved such a path of destruction that officials with the Alberta Financial Services Corp., the province’s crop and hail insurance provider, anticipate they’ll receive more than 1,000 hail claims — more than five times the number typically arising from a bad storm — based on the volume of calls coming into the office so far this week.

Underscoring the storm’s severity on the Reid farm was a badly damaged grain bin, sent spinning by the wind, and left resting on its side in the flattened barley field.

The bin, which left a debris field as far as the eye could see, belongs to a neighbour, whose property is more than a kilometre away.

“This was a nice, 90-bushel-an-acre crop,” said Reid at the farm he and other family members operate.

Of the 360 hectares of barley seeded by the family, 280 have been lost to the storm, he said. More than half of their 200 canola hectares are gone, as well.

Other fields in the area have been similarly ruined by hail, trees have been split in half or knocked down, and a thick layer of leaves and branches lines the roads.

Homes with siding are riddled with huge holes.

Such is the case at the home of Hendrik Schipper and Piep Nieuwenhuis, where the hail stripped the bark from their trees. A plastic garden table out back has fist-sized holes in it, and their canola crop is decimated.

Schipper, who was more concerned about the welfare of his badly injured trees, took the damage in stride.

“In this world, there are worse things,” he said.

Doug Dueck, regional manager for the southern region of Alberta Financial Services Corp., said as of late Tuesday, approximately 800 to 900 claims had been logged by district staff in his area alone, which runs from Airdrie, just north of Calgary, to Lethbridge, about 250 kilometres to the south.

As farmers have three days to report their hail claims, the full extent of the damage won’t be known until Wednesday or Thursday, he said.

The hailstorm is just the latest blow for farmers this year, after a cold spring delayed crop maturity. Many areas in east-central Alberta were then hit by drought, resulting in a below-average crop in many areas.

In early July, the insurer said it was then facing a potential payout that could rival the $800 million paid to farmers in the 2002 drought year, due to the disastrous growing conditions.

Calgary Herald

and it is 31F north of westlock this a.m.

Comment

I just dont get it, it seems like were in a vehicle stalled on the track with the doors locked and a train is barreling down on us.
      Hail starting now, Cold in North Alberta and Sask, were drying down way to fast with no rain and yet some still believe were in for a barn burner. IT just amazes me.

Comment

I was up north last five days and got to farm yesterday to cut some lines in Canola plots for a crop tour coming up. Its amazing how the cereals are starting to show crop stress. White Beards and Canola if finishing flowering. The tents have helped but if it gets warm look out. Maybe it will bring it in faster so we have nice feed crop.

Comment

On Monday, We drove from Calgary to Drumheller and through the Eston area of SK to Moose Jaw. Huge 100 % hail just East of Calgary - yards pummeled crop ponded into the ground. Then from Oyen to just West of Moose Jaw, it appears as though most of the crop has been Rounded Up and what is left is severely stressed. The crop that recooperated after the rain is just heading. There'll be nice SMF crops there next year. We were really surprised at the large area affected.

Comment

The crops around Drum look great though, desert or not.

Comment

We travelled From Weyburn - Regina - Saskatoon - North Battleford - Vermillion - St Paul - Lac labiche - Vegreville - Killam - Hanna - Brooks - Drumheller - Calgary - Madicine Hat - Maple Creek - Gravel Bourg. And Yes the Desert around Drum had some of the nicest crops. Beisieker had nice crops. You can sure tell who is zero tilling and who isnt.... Some not bad crops around the Battlefords but tthey are late.

Comment

I was low balling my post yesterday thinking I may be challenged on my facts but knowing that we alone likely lost around 100000 bushels and we didn't lose every acre. Now this morning I read this storm traveled all the way from OLds to the us border ( where it was refused entry for not having a passport ..not) and the thought is a million acre storm. I have to think then 25 plus million bushels on the ground.

Comment

680,000 MT (wheat equivalent) is significant...

AB Crop report this week didnt factor in the storm.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...