• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far out is harvest?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far out is harvest?

Just curious, for your area, when do you think harvest might start, compared to normal? I've seen a lot of territory and there are a lot of areas NOT worth harvesting. Then, much of the good stuff in South Alberta just got flattened by hail. I've seen some very promising crops in some locals, but, what is the chance of going frost free until October? Cripes, there is Canola still in full bloom! Personally, I don't think we'll get out of August without a killing frost or a heavy snow. Does everyone have their Plan B in place?
    Rockpile

SE Sask, Peas are close, some lentil swathing will start next week. Earley Canola swathing in 10 - 14 days and Cereals well maybe sometime in Sept. Basically 2 weeks behind normal.

Comment

I need ur 2nd option. Was it worth to mow and disk 2 times on barley to contain some or all of N back to ground instead of salvage crop as they may pull price lower if frost hit earlier than except.

Comment

Well took a drive south yesterday to Weyburn then north to Indian Head, Balcarres, Melville to Canora.
        Surprise to see crop has white patches south of city, durum OK but thin, Canola same, Flax and Lentils nice. Then north of Weyburn cereals poor, Canola every where from nice to poor to OK. Best crops south of Indian head by far. By far. By Far. Balcarres could use a rain but their late, Melville must have had a few more showers Better but late. Then nice going north No bumper but nice and late. Plan B, Last night rain .30 mm went around us.So if one week is gone in August already and we have easily 3 to go till harvest even peas (desicate and 14 days is end of August) thats same as last year 1st of sept long weekend doing peas and blew up the 9660. So are we behind, I think one week on last year. in our area. The field of canola I reseeded wont see a combine, full flower now.
        My Esso Agent says buy fert dont worry it wont freeze. HA HA HA. Yea he is covering his arse.

Comment

Sorry that should be north of Indian Head, Not south gee need my morning coffee. Take a drive their is one field of HRS thats like Winnipeg HRS.

Comment

A farmer was combining his winter camoline. Winter wheat has its glyphosate applied, as has edible peas. Others for seed have been swathed. Early seeded durum is three weeks away. SE SK.

Comment

Greenvalley - instead of working it under why not sell it to your neighbor for silage? Keep it till soft dough stage and I'd pay you $25/ton standing for it corrected to 65% moisture level. You have no harvesting risk, no further fuel costs and cash in hand. Enough time to get some regrowth for fall pasture too maybe. Reply if you are interested and I can visit with you - I'm sure we live pretty close!

Comment

GF, my barley is at 2 stages level and one of earlier has changed color but later one has not filling yet. And this is insurance coverage so has to wait till freeze come in and then insurance can come out before I can decide what to do. I hope barley may live till end of Aug or 1 week of Sep.

I have seen the combined canola and these trash turn out good yield barley in year after. So my thought would trash from mow would be similiar result to canola trash.

Comment

With everything other than canola green as my front lawn, and the canola being a solid yellow after 4 weeks of blooming, not real soon. Peas are green as can be wheat looks like john deere, and flax still lingers as it trys to impersonate the ocean. I figure some canola may be swathable in a month. But of course with our latest 2 inch dump, who knows how long it will take to mature, and how much longer it will bloom.

Comment

It sounds like there are some okay crops out there, it's just a matter of timing and the first frost. All in all though, when you and your pal are out hiking and you encounter a hungry bear, you don't necessarily have to out run the bear, just your friend! Quality may be relative.
                    Plan B - crop insurance maybe, and take your banker out for dinner. Potential for some late feed stocks, if planted immediately? Need warm nights though.
                    Rockpile

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...