• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Product for Frost Protection!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product for Frost Protection!

I am working over time their was a news story from Yorkton CJGX on Hudye spraying all his crops with a Copper to help with frost that is on way for next week.
    I am waiting for further information and when I have it will pass it on. Costs about 9 an acre plus application.

copper Google Dr. Steven Lindow Ph.D. Plant Pathology University of Wisconsin
    Research Summary
    By controlled the above bacteria by the use of copper, the temperatures that are needed to cause ice crystals can be reduced by 4°F. This technology has been known for a number of years.

Stoller suggests that 1.0 liter per acre of MP Copper can effectively control this bacteria that is preferred by the nuclei of ice crystals on crops that are subject to frost damage
    1.0 liter per acre of MP Copper will provide 4°F protection.
    Copper will only control the bacteria for approximately 7-10 days. Leaf burn is possible.
    Need to apply Copper 2 – 10 days prior to frost.
    Crap wounder if this would work. Scared right now about next week.

Comment

Booked product for 500 canola and 500 wheat will start monday. Lost over million the last frost in 02 and 04 this time would be 1.5 or better cheap insurance if it works.

Comment

Any idea what 3 to 4 inches of rain on the treated crop will do ? Would it wash it off or not, because if it freezes on tuesday then you will have to start applying now before the rain comes over the weekend.

Comment

SK3,Hudye gonna use planes?That`s a short app window.Seems Agritrend`s answer for a lot of stuff is copper.Can`t knock it tho`Stoller has some far out/leading edge ideas...just gotta prove them here!My foliar app copper was a non event.Granular was a `maybe`.

Comment

No sounds like his Deere's are going to work over time. I know Agritrends has copper this copper that. Potash this and that, but the guy from the US has some interesting info.

Comment

Yes it is interesting, but why after 10 years plus of stoller pushing these products in Canada is there never any public data to back up the claims? Few fields trials, unrandomized, but nothing you can ever take to the bank. How many people applied copper, etc for ergot this year? Any differance between the untreated fields? not likely, but they spent last winter gearing people up on the ergot issue, this winter will be drought tolerance.

Comment

Been done here in australia for years
                Will not eliminate frost but CAN help reduce severity
                It should be applied preflowering or just as crops are flowering
                Also alot of work being done with pottasium sprayed on as well helps strenghten cell walls/membranes

Comment

You'll have to let us know how this works out for you. I read the overview of his work, without getting into detail it looks to me like this application is more sutible for spring frost. It's long been known that copper and elemental sulfur can control plant pathogens but this activity is based on contact, therefore the effectiveness of protecting sensitive seed tissue may be limited. I would lean towards practices that would inrease oil/sugar content of the seed therefore dropping the freezing point of the solution.

Something I would like to see work done on is a low dose of liberty. Liberty works by preventing amonia from being processed within the plant. Perhaps there is a sub-lethal dose that would increase amonia levels enough to reduce the freezing point of the plant cells without negatively impacting yield/quality???

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...