• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeding grass

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeding grass

Wondering what is the best way to get grass established. I would like to have an alfalfa grass mixture established. Perhaps using oats as a cover crop. I've heard that fall rye produces a toxin and may affect grass establishment. Any thoughts?

I have often seeded grass-alfalfa mix using either barley or oats for a carrier. The lower the rate of barley or oats used the better the results as then there is less competion for the available moisture The best results were obtained using a mix that used only 30 pounds of barley per acre and was seeded with an old disc drill set as close to not being in the ground as was possible and cross harrowed twice afterwards. Have also had very good results by seeding at half rate and then reseeding the balance in a different direction so that the rows all cross what was seeded the first time.

Comment

I've always had good luck using the fertilizer floater. Just get the company to blend in the grass seed. Drill in barley, oats or whatever afterwards and harrow crossways. Take off the grain crop as silage or greenfeed for the best results: but it is not a necessity for a good catch. You can combine it but be sure you bale up the straw.

Comment

Thank you for the info guys. I've done what you suggested two years ago Cowman without a cover crop but with 100 lbs of fertilizer in the floater than harrowed twice and then also used the 40 foot land roller packer that Flaman rentals has. Had pretty good moisture that year but it didn't grow worth a dam. Perhaps the roller packed it too hard. Even last year that same field didn't grow hardly anything except weeds.

Comment

Research shows that cover crops can provide significant competition to establishing forages. For some forage species, it can take up to 3 years for the stand to catch up to a stand established without a cover crop. Having said this, I realize cover crops often provide some feed or cash flow in the year of establishment. If you go with a cover crop, keep the seeding rate and N fertility down to minimize competition.

Has this land had hay established on it before? Any chance of herbicide residues?

Comment

There is no herbecide residue. Never established good at all. It's a mined grain field that I'm trying to establish grass on. Five years ago I tried to establish grass on it with oats as a cover crop and fed 350 steers on it in the winter time. Maybe I left the steers on it too late in the spring and the pugging action may have killed the seedlings. Also wondering how early that is safe to graze if at all the year of establishment. Thank you for the response.

Comment

Dusodan,I wouldn't graze it at all the year of establishment.You don't want any plants to be sacrificing root systems when they should be developing them.You may instead just want to take a cut of hay after a killing frost leaving the stubble tall to trap snow.Then give it a shot of fertilizer and voila,a beautiful stand of grass next spring.(hopefully LOL)

Comment

What was the forage grass you used in your initial attempt to establish a stand? And what soil type or area is your farm located in/at?
                I would suggest waiting till the grass is well established before any cattle are put on the field. This will depend on the type of forage planted and the growing conditions but I'd suggest at least one year from time of planting.

Comment

I had seeded 4# of alfalfa,6# of meadow brome, 1# of timothy. This is on grey wooded soil west of Falher in the Peace Country.

Comment

Definitely keep the cattle off the first year.
                    Have you ever heard of a group called the Grey Wooded Forage Association? They have all kinds of research on growing forage in the grey wooded soils. They put out an excellent newsletter about 4 times a year. Costs $10/yr. to join.
                    I hate to try to give you advice when I know nothing about your soil etc. but maybe consider a soil test? Maybe for acidic soil? Just a wild guess...I am a member of GWFA so rub elbows with guys farming this type of land. They say lime works a lot of miracles!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...