• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter starting Honda twin cylinder engines

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter starting Honda twin cylinder engines

I bought a new 20 hp Honda engine for my grain auger and have a hard time making it run in cold weather. I can get it to start with the choke on and have to leave the choke on to make it run. When I try to put a load on it it will stall. I have tried putting more deicer in an that doesn't help. I had a briggs and stratton twin cylinder before and made a crude set up to capture heat off the exhaust to make it run in the cold weather but can't see how I can do the same with this engine. Has anybody got any suggestions? I tried blocking off the air intake on the side and that didn't help either.

sad news, those honda twin are lots of cash and are a fair weather engine, had one for a while wouldn't start in the winter, then wouldn't start in the spring! our briggs has an air intake warmer and works very well so far.

Comment

I had the same problem on a new engine purchased last fall. Dealer installed a winterization kit which consisted of some tin over the fan and some other parts. Also suggested that I keep the fuel tank higher than the engine. It sort of seemed to help. I was able to load some trucks in cold weather, but for a new Honda engine I was sure dissappointed!

Comment

I had the same problem with a 13 horse last week and can't figure it out because this engine has worked well in the past.

Comment

I always thought Hondas were supposed to be the cat's meow for small engines. Friends have always recommended them to me, so this is news to me that they are a fair weather engine.

Comment

I always thought that the older engines with a heavy fly wheel gave them the better preformance in cold weather. Our Honda's have to warmed up well before putting a load on them or they will not hang in there. Dyed Alberta farm fuel is also hard on carberator gaskets/o-rings etc.which also may cause preformance troubles. Small engine dealers reccomend using clear gas in there engines.

Comment

Thank you all for your input. I am putting all the suggestions to good use right now with some success. It was nice to know that someone else was having the same trouble with what was supposed to be the "cadillac" of small air cooled engines. I was beginning to think I was just plain dumb till I received all your responses. Thanks again.

Comment

Carebear,I was loading again today and was having the same troubles.What I did after was leave the choke on to the point that there was no more black smoke coming out and loaded like that.Seemed to work good.I think the whole problem is that these engines run on the lean side to begin with and then when it gets cold it turns into a problem.Try this out and let us know if it worked for you.

Comment

in cold weather i heat the carbuerator with an old hair drier before i turn her over. seems to help a lot.

Comment

My problem was that the choke wouldnt work when cold. So I pull the choke lever out when I shut the motor off and leave it out.

Comment

I got mad the other day and seemed to solve some of the problems. I took the auger over to a small engines expert and had him take off the carburator off to see if there was some way that we could make it run richer. He managed to take off the little cap that was preventing dumb farmers like me from tinkering. Now it seems to run better when cold. I am able to take the choke completely off after the engine is warmed up. With alll of your help and ideas I have been able to use this auger now in the winter. Thanks again I do appreciate your efforts to help a stranger!!!!

Comment

Ihave a 13 hp all I do is Ileave the choke on a little bit works great, It is mounted on 48 inch snowblower which in turn is mounted on a honda500 quad & I use it all the time in the winter starts good also.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...