• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Innovative ways to keep the small farm alive

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Innovative ways to keep the small farm alive

The CFBMC website had the following CBC editorial by Norman Dunn:
    The eventual EU aim is world market prices for farm produce. This means support is progressively decreasing and most European governments are busy searching for new income sources for their farmers.

Finding alternatives is tough. Contracting with existing machinery and labour was always a popular option. But many small-scale contractors are finding they no longer have the right size of
    machinery, nor the huge amounts of capital needed for reinvestment
    in new models.

Other popular alternative earners for farmers in northern Europe have been specialty crops. Back in the 80s, people got very excited about plants like borage or evening primrose offering harvests of
    high-price pharmaceutical oils. It was true that a contract could earn over C$800 per acre. What didn't make the headlines so often
    was that around 1000 acres of each crop was enough to supply half
    of Europe. Oversupply was pre-programmed.

The same applies to herbs. Basil, thyme or oregano produce well in sheltered fields all over middle Europe. But the new growers soon found that the market was very choosy indeed about the quality of the stuff it sprinkled on its pizzas.

Some areas of Europe still look after their smaller farmers better than others, though. In Bavaria for instance, there are 140,000 farms and nearly half of them are very small 75 acres or less. When a plan was floated there to give farmers an alternative source of income by giving them basic computer training, the local government stepped in with $3.5 million in funding. Surprisingly, EU bureaucrats set aside their love of red tape for once and quickly anted up a similar amount. That allowed officials to offer a 500-hour course that farmers could take in their spare time, would cost them just $2 an hour and end in
    a professional qualification. The result is that hundreds of farmers are getting a new chance of good earnings without leaving the farm - and it looks like it will be a long time before this new market is oversupplied!

How could things like that work over here? What sort of shift would have to occur to allow for this trend? What about early retirement for producers? In many other sectors, that is a goal that is strived for. What makes it so bad in primary production?

The problem with why that won't work here is this: The Europeans value their farmers as keepers of the countryside as well as producers of food. In Canada we are viewed as dumb greedy yokels out to screw the public. When in fact it is good old slick Safeway who is doing all the screwing!
    Therefore the public could care less if we starved. It is a view that has been actively promoted by the federal government. The same way Stalin and Khruschev tried to blame the peasants for the problems in the USSR.
    I like your idea of early retirement!!! Now where do I sign up?? Who will pay for it? Well not the government!! They have more pressing needs than "paying" farmers to quit! Things like registering all the guns....$689,000,000 so far and counting!...and no guns registered yet! Damn those ungrateful gun owners!!!
    So retire early? You bet, but better see if you have enough monopoly money(Canadian) to live on because the check won't be in the mail!!

Comment

I knew I could count on cowman to sign up for that early retirment program! LOL, but then he would be off retired for a long weekend and back at ... face it cowman you are a lifer!

The only way we are ever going to solve our challenges is to be more innovative then the next guy and the only way that will happen is if I have just as much to gain or lose as you do. Tying the income stream together throughout the supply chain hits people where they think the best in their pocket. We know we can not depend on the government so we need to do it ourselves!

Cowman let us know how those long weekend retirement plans are coming eh? ))

Comment

I cannot envision why one would expect a $500.00 computer course to be the salvation of the farm lifestyle. I bought my first computer in 1979 and can't really see that it has increased my earning potential to any large degree. Diversification is very appealing but we already have a huge number of unemployed computer gurus resulting from the 'tech wreck'. For working farms, 'shoe box' bookkeeping is still a workable alternative in all but the larger corporate farms.

Like those above, I am also wondering who is going to pay farmers to retire?

We have seen an almost endless parade of alternative crops, livestock or other products which are going to make money, only to have them support only the entrepreneurs who got in on top.

Part of what makes farming difficult to get into is the cost of the infrastructure. What happens to the expensive machinery, buildings, and equipment that are specialized for conventional farming practices? For example, bison were supposed to be 'maintenance free' and yet we see miles of special fencing, as well as completely redesigned, heavy duty handling facilities.

The above article point to some of the problems but I fail to see any solutions. Maybe I missed them.

Comment

Value Chain: What is a long weekend? I will admit I am a little workaholic. Well at least I put in the time...don't know how hard I work at it.
          What is retirement? I suspect I'll always be doing something. I like to go south in the winter, but after about ten days I've had enough. MAX!!
          I guess I learned at an early age the joys of the farm and I never got over it. I would just as soon spend an afternoon out checking the weeds in the barley as a day at the lake. I definitely would rather spend some time picking saskatoons or watching the baby bluebirds than being at the mall!
          So you are probably right...I am a lifer! But I will be damned if I will work for free... I guess I just won't call it work anymore?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...