• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people this way?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are people this way?

Had an interesting conversation with a farmer on an oil lease. He was telling me how the wolf was at the door and how farming just didn't pay. While we leaned up against his new $60,000 Dodge dually!
    This farmer inherited a large farm and has lots of big new equipment. So I said "well Doug, the solution is simple. Quit! You don't have a son, you're no spring chick, so go and enjoy your golf game and winters in Arizona."
    Well he couldn't, don't you see? The taxes would kill him! Boredom would set in and he wouldn't know what to do!And besides he wasn't really all that desperate!
    Have we become an industry of complainers who complain just because it is the thing to do? Or do we all need to take a hard look at our life and decide whether to quit or grin and bare it?

An interesting observation, cowman. From your description, this man would fit the profile of many of us, excluding the new truck. Many of us are complaining, not because we are starving, but because we are not seeing rewards comensurate with the investment of time, energy and capital.
    Yes, many of us could buy the new truck; bank money is easy to come buy and if he has a large clear land base he is probably well secured.
    I think the complaining deals with a deep sense of frustration and injustice stemming from our inability, no matter how hard you work, or how much captital or how much off farm income invested, of seeing your the red drop off the income and expense sheets.

Comment

Um, does that farmer want to marry or adopt me?

And "no son"? Is that an implication that a woman couldn't inheret and/or run an outfit? Gimme a chance!

Ask any mom who has managed a career (agricultural or otherwise) while raising a family how she stays focused and motivated, and THEN talk to me about the remuneration not reflecting the time and effort expended!!!!! Let alone the "delivery" costs, LOL.

Ya'll have way too much time to sit and ponder. ;o) Get out there and do good work and find joy in it!

Comment

What was really absurb about this whole thing was this man has oil royalty income that would make a Saudi blush! He could easily retire and never sell anything. The farm is actually just a nuisance!
        He has two daughters but I think they have their eyes set on bigger things. One married a doctor in Toronto and the other is in University...law I think.
        But I think the problem is this farmer is obviously a good business man and is sick of seeing a loss on his investment. I suspect he will plow along for awhile yet but in the end he will get sick of working for nothing and quit.

Comment

So.... this ranch is a tax shelter, maybe? He likely doesn't need one of those either, LOL.

It's a sad day when the land and the animals who live upon it become more of a nuisance than an opportunity.

I'd love a chance to do a little creative visioning with this guy. You know how the song goes... "You don't know what you've got til it's gone."

There are always choices, and opportunities, if we have the perspective to see them. Those girls of his sound as if they took the money for their education and ran. (

Comment

I don't think he sees it as a tax shelter. You know how it is. Old time family, been there forever, fourth generation. Pretty deep roots. You just don't walk away from that without a lot of pain. I think his girls are pretty typical of their generation. Pretty hard to keep them down on the farm once they see their options.I guess he's the end of the line.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...