• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today in Pictures

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't imagine trying to get red clover dry enough to combine. We occasionally make the mistake of planting it with hay Because it will thrive in areas where alfalfa can't.
    It grows 7 ft tall. Falls down flat on the ground. Impossible to dry. Difficult to cut even with a discbine. Can't imagine cutting it with a swather.

So what is a drying floor? Just full floor aeration bin? Is there any other way to dry grass seed? l

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

Straight cutting any forages for seed is basically impossible as the ripping stage is so varied.

Was there much seed left below your cut line?

Red clover is tough to dry out at the best of times even in swaths. Cylinder must have been tighten right up, and I'm thinking a decent wind to blow out all the green matter without losing seed.

Did you have to throw the seed on a drying floor?

Good for you!
      It was tough slugging for sure, no hard frost this fall to kill it off. I thought I was going to swath it because it grew rank and did go down then regrew. I didn’t swath though because we had a damp October and I didn’t think it would be a good idea. Left some seed down below for sure but not too bad. The guys that grow it here straight cut it, usually dessicate it though. But there was a short window before we got our snow that stayed that I slugged away at what I could. I dumped what I got in a wood bin and kept it for a week then sold it. Buyer took it so I guess it must have been dry enough for him. Net yield was around 550 pounds per acre.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        I can't imagine trying to get red clover dry enough to combine. We occasionally make the mistake of planting it with hay Because it will thrive in areas where alfalfa can't.
        It grows 7 ft tall. Falls down flat on the ground. Impossible to dry. Difficult to cut even with a discbine. Can't imagine cutting it with a swather.

So what is a drying floor? Just full floor aeration bin? Is there any other way to dry grass seed? l
        There’s not many suitable days here either to get it off. It’s a very determined plant. This was my first try at it so I don’t know what the seasoned growers do with it.

Comment

So do you treat red clover as a annual, bi-annual or perennial when you are harvesting it? You harvest the same year you seed, or was it seesed last year? When it is desiccated, is that the end, or does it regrow next year?

Comment

It is a short lived perennial it was underseeded last year, no seed production the first year, but a lot of biomass if the cover crop drowns out in spots and can’t compete is what I found out. It’s possible to get 2 to 3 years of seed harvest off it I’ve been told. But usually by year 3 I imagine yields dwindle and the field gets more weedy so dockage can get quite high. This field had a very good catch and is clean so I’ll leave it to try and produce another seed crop next year. As far as desiccating I’m not really sure, I assume with Reglone it should still come back the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by blueversi View Post
              Buyer took it so I guess it must have been dry enough for him. Net yield was around 550 pounds per acre.
              Seems to be strong demand for clover by the look of retail pricing.
              All the cover crop hype and programs might be influencing it.
              Most used to go to the U S.

Will you grow it again?

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post

Seems to be strong demand for clover by the look of retail pricing.
                All the cover crop hype and programs might be influencing it.
                Most used to go to the U S.

Will you grow it again?
                Seems there is demand for it for now yes. I’ll leave this field in and see how next year goes before I seed anymore. The late season harvesting and limited hours in a day of good harvest conditions is a major drawback but the net revenue can be attractive with prices where they currently are providing it produces any yield.

Comment

What terrible global warming we are having here in manitoba

Comment

Originally posted by cropgrower View Post
                    You must have just experienced it differently. We are having great weather in West Central Alberta now. The entire forecast is highs of well above zero.
                    When a contrast from the distinct pictures I posted about. We had Lowe's of -20, eyes not much better than that. Ground was freezing, nearly a foot of snow on the ground. Now the snow is basically all gone. The mud is drying up. Back in the field again.
                    There is still some crop out in the area, looks like they will get their second chance.

Comment

mostly + temps by day for us too from weekend on , would be nice but land work is finished for this year im sure

Comment

Fogvember has started.

Comment

Cloudy and damp with wet snow most of the day. Haven’t seen the sun yet in November!

Comment

Getting ready for next year here allready ! next job is try to fit a macdon 972 header on a Hesston 8110s swarther

Comment

Originally posted by cropgrower View Post
                              Yes you can really tell what is happening to the global climate by looking out the window in Manitoba on one day in November out of 30 years!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post

Yes you can really tell what is happening to the global climate by looking out the window in Manitoba on one day in November out of 30 years!
                                Chuck this is a picture thread. Share a picture of your day or go to a different thread.

Jolene missed Halloween so she made up for it this week.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...