• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta’s drought shaping up to be ‘worse than we saw in the 1920s, 1930s’

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may not being any position to judge. I am always paranoid about drill settings with canola. I calibrate every time no matter what. I put in a single bag the first time and turn the drill down about 20% from what the calibration number should be and seed one bag to confirm the calibration. If I'm not satisfied I will continue to put in a single bag at a time. The calibration is so drastically different from one seed size to another or one brand to another can I find this is necessary. I only dump in a bunch of bags once I am certain I have it set correctly.

My first bag this year, I set the calibration number, set the intended pounds per acre, drove to the field went a hundred feet to check depth etc. Wondered why the rate monitor was going haywire. For some reason the pounds per acre had not registered and it worked out to around 200 lb per acre over a short strip. It looked really good for a few days after it emerged. Now a yellow spindly sad looking batch that probably won't yield anything.

I even took a quad and diamond arrow thinking I could thin it out but because it was sod seated the hero didn't do much damage at all.

Good thing I didn't have 30 bags in, and a good thing I checked immediately, that could have been a several thousand dollar mistake in a hurry.

I've heard of these horror stories before, that's the first time it's ever happened to me. I usually end up on the low side.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      I may not being any position to judge. I am always paranoid about drill settings with canola. I calibrate every time no matter what. I put in a single bag the first time and turn the drill down about 20% from what the calibration number should be and seed one bag to confirm the calibration. If I'm not satisfied I will continue to put in a single bag at a time. The calibration is so drastically different from one seed size to another or one brand to another can I find this is necessary. I only dump in a bunch of bags once I am certain I have it set correctly.

My first bag this year, I set the calibration number, set the intended pounds per acre, drove to the field went a hundred feet to check depth etc. Wondered why the rate monitor was going haywire. For some reason the pounds per acre had not registered and it worked out to around 200 lb per acre over a short strip. It looked really good for a few days after it emerged. Now a yellow spindly sad looking batch that probably won't yield anything.

I even took a quad and diamond arrow thinking I could thin it out but because it was sod seated the hero didn't do much damage at all.

Good thing I didn't have 30 bags in, and a good thing I checked immediately, that could have been a several thousand dollar mistake in a hurry.

I've heard of these horror stories before, that's the first time it's ever happened to me. I usually end up on the low side.
      I do the same thing. With cameras it is even easier. Put a bag in level it off and make a mark with marker and put a second bag in then seed 10 acres watching the camera. To be honest my drill setting hasn’t really changed much year to year.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

Don't be so hard on chuck. He has a valid excuse for not posting any pictures of his drought ravaged crops.
        In another thread he's referring to a lose Canon.
        And after multiple prompts for him to correct his grade five level spelling errors, he left it be. So I assume he/she(or is its preferred pronoun actually we, that is how it often refers to itself on this forum?) really has lost his Canon camera. And judging by his infatuation with party lines, it's probably still using a film camera.
        Hard to take pictures of Farming Simulators

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post

Hard to take pictures of Farming Simulators
          True. We would be asking too much to expect him to figure out how to make a screenshot of his virtual farm. Considering that this is the poster who still can't figure out how to post a link or synthesize an article into his own words.

Comment

Unfortunately too late for Jasper and a few other areas .
            it unfortunate that the forest in the park around Jasper was not properly managed.
            Was a massive amount of dead tree fuel in that area not looked after .

Comment

Interesting from my stateside travels through national forests and parks. Seems to be a renewed focus on understory fuel management. Last time we were through Banff and Jasper management style appeared laissez faire. Let Mother Nature handle beetle killed trees and fuel load. Mother Nature is cruel.

Comment

Air tractor laying down fire retardants.

Sometimes hired by property owners or insurance companies in the US.

Might be an option if TSHTF?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...