• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 Year Canola Virgin

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 Year Canola Virgin

2007: whats that my neighbors are growing?

2008-2018: haha grow it, no problem, shitty bins for storage haha, whatever, put it in a little tough, so what, no air, no cables, store all winter, sell in spring.

2019: 16,000 bushels of trying to heat canola, turning everyday, waiting for Viterra to call for it.

Lesson learned.

Originally posted by jazz View Post

2008-2018: haha grow it, no problem, shitty bins for storage haha, whatever, put it in a little tough, so what, no air, no cables, store all winter, sell in spring.

2019: 16,000 bushels of trying to heat canola, turning everyday, waiting for Viterra to call for it.

Lesson learned.
    So true....that is totally how my dad stored canola...never checked it and just augered and sold it in the summer. He keeps asking me why I keep checking temp cables so often this winter...might be the $700 per bag I am paying vs. 50 cents a pound he paid.

Comment

Or the $1000/T for NH3

Comment

Originally posted by Goodtime View Post
        So true....that is totally how my dad stored canola...never checked it and just augered and sold it in the summer. He keeps asking me why I keep checking temp cables so often this winter...might be the $700 per bag I am paying vs. 50 cents a pound he paid.
        Are the extra yields covering the cost of growing and infrastructure required?

Or are the margins similar to the 50 cents a pound canola?

Comment

Lesson learned.
          And speaking on behalf of those of us who had our trial by fire years ago, and are set up to store tough, damp, wet, green canola for the long term, we really appreciate your urgency to unload it sooner, since it really helps the seasonal price swings, eventually.

Comment

[QUOTE=jazz;4365542019: 16,000 bushels of trying to heat canola, turning everyday, waiting for Viterra to call for it.

Lesson learned.[/QUOTE]

With all the f-ing around already should have just tried to get it dried and sat on it.
            Was it already contracted? Or did you just dump it and now having to play the waiting game.

Comment

Biggest mistake is waiting on a grain company.

Make your destiny don't wait for somebody else to do it for you.

There's companies that would have bought it a long time ago. You can't be that far from Portal?

Comment

Lesson learned.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	canola oil.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	769258

You think its bad now?
                Wait until your kids have to deal with 48% to 50% oil content.
                That's the breeder's goal for some varieties.
                Crushers have gained 3% over the past 20 years.
                The risk of storing 41% oil content compared to storing 45% oil content has been transferred to farmers at no cost to the industry. Lots of samples with 47 to 48% oil content already.

There was no appetite to get paid for that risk in 2013 and your checkoff dollars said so. Transparency is worse today than it was in 2013; so suck it up and keep those associations and councils working hard for you.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________
                https://www.producer.com/2013/10/oil-content-of-canola-hits-industry-target/

This year’s oil content will rival the record of 45.2 percent set in 2011 if it stays at the current level. That is prompting calls for the introduction of oil-based price premiums.

The Canadian Canola Growers Association has investigated the idea but doesn’t think it is worth pursuing.

For one thing, the industry would have to equip elevators with machines to measure oil content, and they would have to be regularly calibrated, which is expensive.

“In our view, farmers are getting paid for oil content. It does come through either the futures price that is being offered or the basis levels that are being offered,” said White.

He doesn’t believe the extra expense would be worth it, considering growers are already paid for their efforts.

Another problem is that some farmers would win and some would lose. Who wins and who loses would be largely predicated on weather conditions.

“Really, what it does is put the risk of oil content directly onto the individual farmer, and that’s a risk that they really can’t manage very well because it is so environmentally driven,” said White.

Comment

Manitoba has a significantly lower oil content vs SK&AB I’ve been told so can understand why they are opposed to premiums and discounts.

Not sure if any producer would ever benefit from another grading variable?

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
                    Biggest mistake is waiting on a grain company.

Make your destiny don't wait for somebody else to do it for you.

There's companies that would have bought it a long time ago. You can't be that far from Portal?
                    Nobody within an hr haul was buying tough canola, big guys plugged the first contracts, guess they knew what was about to come off. We still had hopes ours would be closer to dry so sat in our hands. Portal is an 2.5 hour haul.

Talked to Viterra 6 weeks ago, said they had a Dec dry and buy plan. Thought we could turn it a few times and get there. Now its end of jan or feb. Cant handle this volume of tough. Have some bad stuff on air, but other stuff we thought was nice and cool heated on us.

In all the years I have grown canola not once did we take it tough. Always got a window of good weather. Live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
                      You think its bad now?
                      Wait until your kids have to deal with 48% to 50% oil content.
                      Most of this is 40% oil, so that should be storable I would think. I know some was testing 9% moisture when we first started but haven't run across anything that low in the bin since harvest. Also a lot of this was combined very cold. Surprised it heated.

Extra sweating this year?

Comment

Most of this is 40% oil, so that should be storable I would think. I know some was testing 9% moisture when we first started but haven't run across anything that low in the bin since harvest. Also a lot of this was combined very cold. Surprised it heated.

Extra sweating this year?
                        Just wondering was this straight cut?

Comment

Originally posted by AC man View Post
                          Just wondering was this straight cut?
                          Yup, sprayed with glyphosate and heat to cure it. I usually swath, next year I will start again.

Comment

One thing we have found by experience is that frost on the plant makes the stems and chaff a source of heating. Last year I had a bin of 6% moisture, cold (-3 C) canola start to warm up in about 3 weeks after it was binned. Caught it on my monitor when it was up to mid 20’s C. Hauled before it heated though.

Same thing happened Maybe 10+ years ago when we combined the last few acres of a field in a light drizzle.
                            canola was 7% at the time of binning.

Comment

Higher oil content or specialty oil canola seems to heat up faster.

Under 9% and 10 degrees for storage is what I am comfortable with. Anything that tests very dry and heats is usually respiring yet or binned warm.
                              Straight cut canola is much more likely to be respiring in my opinion and must be cooled as quickly as possible and watched like a hawk for 6 weeks or so. The cooler the better. Tough/damp straight cut canola has a very short safe storage period.
                              Probably cut these numbers in half for straight cut.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Moisture Temp Canola chart.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	769259
                              Have also found that the same canola stored in a hopper bin can heat faster than flat storage if there is a warm fall.
                              Sorry to hear some heated on you

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...