• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Farmer in Saskatchewan

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest Farmer in Saskatchewan

Travis Heide says the internet. Supposedly gone organic to be largest organic farm.

I think his land is owned by Andjelic

Comment

His whole farm is gone. You can rent it all.

Comment

I just checked through his twitter. I was curious how they are making it sustainable. Looks like lots of intercropping, and legume plowdown. But this post caught my attention.

Boys were loading railcars of Organic Wheat again today using the new
        @cancade
        tri-axle tippers! These will haul wheat at harvest and manure in the fall and summer and we had them custom built with the tall sides to get over 30MT of composted manure!
        Where does the composted manure come from? I didn't see any sign of livestock in the website, twitter, or news articles. Is that a big livestock area(from what I know it isn't)? Can they buy from neighbors? When I was considering going this route, I figured I would need at least one cow per cropland acre to make enough manure to keep from falling behind. That would be over 46,000 cows. And 2 or 3 times that many acres to pasture and raise the feed for them. that must take all the livestock in quite a radius. Can't afford to truck manure, even composted very far in my opinion.

Can anyone local to the area shed some light on this?

Comment

Sounds like a Hollywood movie to me

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            Sounds like a Hollywood movie to me
            Starring a lot of unicorns.

We had organic guys SE of us go broke and then conventional guys pick up the land for a song, clean it up and rock with yields for a decade now.

The rule of thumb in organic never changes, half the yield, twice the price and 10x the weeds.

Comment

All that composted manure came from all those feedlots that only buy organic barley and straw. Cause all those feedlot guys test for that stuff when it comes in OOPS sorry forgot about all that imported corn from U.S. its organic too. shessssh ! How many minutes does a person have to turn a manure pile to make it organic ?

Comment

Next time I'm in the Melville area ill drive by the farm and post a picture you'll see it's a shit show. Better yet phone any neighbor and ask how life is going with all the weeds.

They are also having a rough time renting the land as most see it as a three to the five-year project getting it back to any form or reasonable shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
                  All that composted manure came from all those feedlots that only buy organic barley and straw. Cause all those feedlot guys test for that stuff when it comes in OOPS sorry forgot about all that imported corn from U.S. its organic too. shessssh ! How many minutes does a person have to turn a manure pile to make it organic ?
                  There are a lot of ridiculous, non scientific and arbitrary rules in the organic business, but the one reasonable rule is about manure. It doesn't have to come from an organic farm, with a few minor stipulations.

Comment

Maybe the weeds are the cover crop?????

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                      There are a lot of ridiculous, non scientific and arbitrary rules in the organic business, but the one reasonable rule is about manure. It doesn't have to come from an organic farm, with a few minor stipulations.
                      Everytime we used to haul manure out of the corrals onto the fields, it came with a hell of a lot of noxious weeds with it. Used to get 4 ft tall pig weeds. And how are these guys not being penalized for carbon release? They have to be working in that manure and working down cover crops. Is manure runoff better than phos and N into water courses?

Why is this considered environmentally beneficial at all?

Comment

Can someone enlighten me as to why manure automatically grows round leaf mallow????

Comment

see on Andjelic's website that all organic land now not available till 2022 season. thinking not enough offers. being able to lock in good new crop prices, I think sends a clear message.

Comment

Read it again it took him a while to get the land legally back from renter.

Now available

Comment

Put a bid in on some of it. Guy phoned me this morning and said they're not leasing it this year. Gonna start posting again in July for 2022 season.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...